Horn dose not work

felicie

Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
I did the tests took the airbag off checked for power, it there. Made sure the buttons were making contact, it did. Then checked for ground not there, grounded the horn it blows. what I can't find is how dose the horn get ground is it through the clock spring is there a plug under the wheel. The airbag light is not on so I think the spring is good.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I was gonna say, time for a train horn mod!! :rotfl:

Found the schematic for the horn circuit, looks like it's grounded to the engine block ground location. Maybe that wire is damaged somehow and just needs some TLC to repair it?

Horn20Schematics.jpg

Last edited:

felicie

Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
the panic button works, what I need to know is how the horn get grounded is it through the clock spring or somewhere else?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The horn itself is grounded in the engine bay (see my previous post). In the first post, you said you verified it was getting power, can you clarify? Did you check for 12V on the output of the horn relay, while pressing the horn on the steering wheel? Or something else?

Edit: If the panic button works, then I'd say it's safe to say the issue would be between the horn switch on the steering wheel and the junction with the BCM input, before heading to the front fuse block.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Last edited:

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
For a New Replacement Horn Relay:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=Chevy+Blazer+Horn+Relay

Or... if you have a Multi-Meter and small 12V PS and some alligator clip-ended test wires you could try these easy to do tests on The Horn Relay:

the relay is fine if panic mode works. More then likely a busted horn connection at the steering wheel or a bad connection between the horn switch and c201 (the large connector between steering column and truck). do you have an aftermarket remote start/alarm installed? if you do they could have used cheap wire taps that damaged the wire and i would start there first.

felicie

Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
nothing modified on the truck. I don't think I'm explaining myself well. If I take off the airbag and expose the horn switch contacts, take a grounded wire and touch the horn switch it blows. but the contact point on the steering wheel has no ground. What I am try to find out is if the ground for that point comes through the clock spring or the steering shaft. Because the contact point for the horn has no ground.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Might seem simple but did you check the fuse?

The fuse isn't going to be his issue, since the horn works via the key fob, or if he jumps the ground contact point for the switch. The problem is with the contact point itself. Wherever it's supposed to be grounded to, isn't, resulting in an open circuit, and no horn function when pressed.

The ground should be supplied by the clock spring, and eventually tie into the splice pack at the bottom right of the radio stack. I haven't checked, but I assume that ground will emerge in that large connector right under the steering column behind the knee bolster panel.

Sqrly

Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
No one ever answered this one. My 04 Envoy had this same issue and I fixed it.

#1 Read the OP! The horn works. All the wiring and buttons work. The steering wheel is not grounded. I can short the horn buttons to ground and the horn honks.

#2 The steering wheel should be getting a connection to ground through the shaft. The one with the big nut that hold the steering wheel on. See Pic #1

#3 I was troubleshooting, you don't need to take the steering wheel off to do this. You will need to take the cover off of the steering column. I only found 1 screw, seen from underneath. See Pic #2 You also need to remove the tilt steering lever if you have it. You just grab it firmly with pliers (and something to protect the plastic) and give it a quick yank straight out. See Pic #3

#4 When I got everything apart I started poking around looking for grounded points. I found this yellow stuff that I think some backyard yahoo added. See Pic #4

#5 I added a ground wire to electrically connect those two assemblies in pic 4. In Pic #5 you can see where I hooked it to the upper column. I have a tilt column. There's a small threaded hole there that is used to pull the tilt pivot pin out on that side. It's perfect for this. In Pic #6 you can see where I hooked the other end of the wire to.

My horn button works now :wink:

Note: I added a bonus pic showing the button you push the get the key out of the ignition when there is no power.

Horn Ground 01.jpgHorn Ground 02.jpgTilt Steering Lever.jpgHorn Ground 03.jpgHorn Ground 04.jpgHorn Ground 05.jpgKey Release.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.