Homelink - how to rig for engine running only?

Ed H

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
I just programmed homelink for my garage door opener and realized it works with the key out. I park outside, so if someone breaks into the truck, they can open my garage door! WTF?

Has anyone mod'd Homelink so it only works with the key in the ignition, or with the engine running? :undecided:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Good question! If you had an EXT/XL/XUV, then the overhead console would have an RAP feed wire (retained accessory power) so you could close the powered rear quarter windows after the key was out for a short time. Then it would go out. That would have been a good Homelink feed.

But the SWB vehicles only have constant battery power up there. You'd have to run a wire from the ignition switch up the A-pillar to the console and then rewire it. No simple way. You could also add a hidden switch to the console hidden inside the sunglasses cubby.

GM designers strike again.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Ed H said:
I just programmed homelink for my garage door opener and realized it works with the key out. I park outside, so if someone breaks into the truck, they can open my garage door! WTF?

Has anyone mod'd Homelink so it only works with the key in the ignition, or with the engine running? :undecided:

I haven't worried about it.

First off, the thief would need to break into the vehicle (which means breaking the glass and setting off the alarm by unlocking it from the inside).

Second they would more than likely not know which of the buttons did what on the overhead console.

Third, you need to hold the button down for a few seconds which the thief would more than likely not know about.

For a thief to even get to step 2 is highly improbable. They would run when the alarm goes off.

Now if you happen to not lock the doors and they reach step 3 then you got what's coming to you. And they know just as much as you do about the Homelink.

This is also a good reason to get a deadbolt between the garage and the home.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I don't know how sketchy your hood is, but if someone wants something bad enough-they will get it.

I assume you had a garage door opener in the ride prior to this? So IMHO I believe you just helped deter the thief a little by not providing the door opener in sight and by utilizing homelink. I wouldn't sweat it. Who knows, it may be another convenience in the future to not have to turn key over to open garage.

pretty sure thieves prefer open garages/door to garage. Deadbolt door to house (again he's getting in if he wants). Come to think of it, at least he can't jack your remote and open the door when you're not there... He wont be pushing buttons in the ride while he is shopping/pillaging your ride unless he knows you have something he wants, i.e. bad neighbors etc.

I say "he" because I sure hope I don't have to aim at a "she".

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I remember reading somewhere (maybe OS) about using the remote that came with the opener and wiring it up to the high beam switch and hiding it. So you pull up in front of your garage and flash the high beams and the remote opens the door. That way no one would ever find a remote or be able to use the homelink button.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
the roadie said:
Good question! If you had an EXT/XL/XUV, then the overhead console would have an RAP feed wire (retained accessory power) so you could close the powered rear quarter windows after the key was out for a short time. Then it would go out. That would have been a good Homelink feed.

But the SWB vehicles only have constant battery power up there. You'd have to run a wire from the ignition switch up the A-pillar to the console and then rewire it. No simple way. You could also add a hidden switch to the console hidden inside the sunglasses cubby.

GM designers strike again.

Trying to figure out what you are saying, roadie. I remember reading this thread, and as I was heading out to try a spare tire deployment (it was successful, BTW!), I hit my programmed homelink button and it opened my garage door. The truck had been off for several hours. Not sure if you were saying the RAP is for everything up there or just the windows. I'll try the windows/sunroof when I head out for lunch.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
the power to the sunroof switch is tied to the key, should be easy to find with a test light

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
My goodness, I have a sunroof and forgot totally about it. That is fed by RAP by way of the BCM. Purple wire on the sunroof motor. Only the LWB and XUV have an RAP relay. The SWB uses the BCM directly to feed the RAP wiring.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
the roadie said:
My goodness, I have a sunroof and forgot totally about it. That is fed by RAP by way of the BCM. Purple wire on the sunroof motor. Only the LWB and XUV have an RAP relay. The SWB uses the BCM directly to feed the RAP wiring.

HaHa, Roadie fail. I was gonna make a Garfield comic for it, but i figured that would be paramount to blasphemy round these parts.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
DDonnie said:
HaHa, Roadie fail. I was gonna make a Garfield comic for it, but i figured that would be paramount to blasphemy round these parts.
Funny you should mention that! I created one of my very first Garfields over at Trailvoy for the identical situation you and I find ourselves in. :biggrin:

garfield-mug-mod.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online