Homelink Console Conversion?

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
Is converting the two map lights overhead to a homelink console do-able? What kind of work would be required and has it been done?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I did this mod a couple years ago. You don't have to replace the whole console, just the plate where the modules go. (bottom of my pic) Try to get some from a junk yard if you can, they'll be much cheaper that way. You need to pop out the light lenses, and there are a pair of T15 torx screws in the corners. Once you get those out, there are 2 clips near the front of the headliner, pull down. Disengage the wire harness, then you can work on the swap comfortably. :thumbsup:

Edit: You'll also have to splice in some wires, for power, ground, and illumination (when the parking lights come on) Would be a good idea to download the wiring diagrams from Mooseman's Service Manuals thread.

CurrentConsole.jpg

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Blckshdw said:
I did this mod a couple years ago. You don't have to replace the whole console, just the plate where the modules go. (bottom of my pic) Try to get some from a junk yard if you can, they'll be much cheaper that way. You need to pop out the light lenses, and there are a pair of T15 torx screws in the corners. Once you get those out, there are 2 clips near the front of the headliner, pull down. Disengage the wire harness, then you can work on the swap comfortably. :thumbsup:

Edit: You'll also have to splice in some wires, for power, ground, and illumination (when the parking lights come on) Would be a good idea to download the wiring diagrams from Mooseman's Service Manuals thread.

CurrentConsole.jpg
If you can find a console in the right color with the Homelink transmitter AND the options you currently have (sunroof, third row windows, etc.) then it's just plug-and-play to swap over the whole thing. They are out there--I found mine on ebay for ~$45 shipped.

The real trick is upgrading from a console with the sunglass holder ('04 and earlier?) instead of the map lights. It can definitely still be done, just requires some wiring and modifications to the mounting bracket.

LikeEnvoy

Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
My 07 Envoy has only the two map lights in the roof. Are the mounting points for the console already there in the roof? I.e. where the clips and screws go.
So apart from wiring, will the console just clip in and screw down?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
LikeEnvoy said:
My 07 Envoy has only the two map lights in the roof. Are the mounting points for the console already there in the roof? I.e. where the clips and screws go.
So apart from wiring, will the console just clip in and screw down?

Here's the writeup on the OS that was done on a GMT360 that did not come with a console from the factory. It looks like a bit more work. Do you have a powered mirror with lights of any kind? If so, then you might have all the wiring you need up there. If you've got a plain Jane mirror, then you'll have to tap power elsewhere and run your connections to the headliner.

Installing An Overhead Console

Reactions: BlazingTrails

LikeEnvoy

Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks Blckshdw. My car had the plane mirror but I already added an autodim/compass/temp mirror; Most wires were in the plug but I added a wire for the temperature and a power wire for illuminating the buttons.
I doubt the consoles use much power so the current power wire supply should be ok and the power already supplying the map lights will be used for the ones in the console. I'll follow the link you quoted- ah I see it's on the old STSNBN (site that shall not be named).

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
AtlWrk said:
The real trick is upgrading from a console with the sunglass holder ('04 and earlier?) instead of the map lights. It can definitely still be done, just requires some wiring and modifications to the mounting bracket.
Been there done that.. :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online

No members online now.