High pitch ATF grinding sound when cold shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear

jemmie

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
I have a 2005 Envoy 4WD I-6 with 105,000 miles or so. Just this week, upon a cold start in cold weather (<35F or so), there's a high pitched grind sound for about a second when shifting from second to third gear. After AT warms up, it goes away. I use Mobil 1 ATF, have auxillary ATF cooler, etc. etc. etc.

Is this something I should be concerned about? What's this mean?

Thanks!

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Your supposed to be using dexron vi. How many quarts did you add when tranny fluid service was done?? Did u do a pan drop and filter change or a whole flush?? I would start by putting the correct fluid in. And Merry Christmas btw.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
From what I've read, Mobil 1 ATF meets Dexron III specs. IIRC, Dexron VI wasn't required until 2006. So going to Dexron VI is an up-grade in fluid, it isn't required for a 2005. :twocents:

jemmie

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
That's my understanding as well. I also have inline ATF filter. I sometimes tow a 20' aluminum boat and 25' travel trailer with it (not at the same time).

So, leaving right/wrong ATF aside, what's the high pitched grinding sound mean?

Ignore it? Be paranoid about it? Sign of failure but nothing I can (or should) do until it fails?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Others will jump in, but, IMHO, if you just ignore it, Murphy's Law says it will fail completely half way home on a Sunday night with the boat in tow.
Also, the next time you need ATF, go with the Dexron VI. I noticed much better shifts when I did a pan drop and used the VI.

jemmie

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
Others will jump in, but, IMHO, if you just ignore it, Murphy's Law says it will fail completely half way home on a Sunday night with the boat in tow.
Also, the next time you need ATF, go with the Dexron VI. I noticed much better shifts when I did a pan drop and used the VI.

I might just do that. I looked and I flushed ATF 40,000 miles ago, which is probably more than long enough for how much towing I do with this.

What brand Dexron VI should I use?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I used Castrol, but anything that meets Dexron VI specs should be fine.

jemmie

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
I drained and flushed ATF and replaced with Castrol Dexron VI and the noise went away, and this morning was the coldest day of the year. I suspect it's the new ATF rather than Dexron VI that fixed the problem. Thanks all.

On a side note, my observation is that the life of all the fluids in this vehicles need to be watched like a hawk. I sent in my oil (Mobil 1) for a test after 7500 miles and the result was essentially that it was crap, so I shortened it to 5000 mile cycles. If I don't change my transfer case fluid every couple of years, the vehicle hesitates regularly while moving. And the ATF I changed out was Mobil 1 and only had 40,000 miles on it, and I have auxillary ATF cooler as well as inline Magnefine filter.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
I'm having the same thing happen, and also have a thread on it. It hadn't happened before the tune, but then again, it's had 10k miles since it was this cold, so who knows. Mine has ~100k on it, and the fluid was changed at 50k with Dex 6.

I took this video yesterday. It normally does it worse on the 1-2, but the 1-2 was fine this time. It did do it on the 2-3, though. You have to have the volume really high to hear it, though (and ignore the road noise on acceleration).

[video=youtube;wW2dX-bUG4M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW2dX-bUG4M[/video]

I was planning on changing the fluid (and T-case and both diffs again) this winter, too, so no big deal there... I am going to pull the tune off, tonight, and see if it's something that makes it happen or happen worse, or doesn't affect it at all.

Mike

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Odd I've never heard that sound, even when I first got my truck at 112k and the fluid was really old. 169k now.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
My Dad said it sounded like light clutch chatter, and it would probably last forever like that, but a fluid change fixed it, so why not?

Mike

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online