HID's and DRL's

slickster

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Hi! New here! I'm sorry my first post has to be a question... but I'm pretty confused. My wife and I have an 06 Envoy Denali. I bought HID's for it. I have them in for my lows and fogs already. I have a set for my high beams, but before I put them in, I need to know a couple of things.
First: Are our DRL's run off of the high beams? I've heard some makes of cars run the high beams at reduced power to act as DRL's. Is this true for ours? If not, cool, it'll be easy to throw these in and not have to worry about anything. If they are, how can I disable the DRL's?
Second: Is it vital to disable the auto-light-on feature? The feature that turns on your headlights when it gets dark, you know what I mean. How important is it that I disable that? If it's absolutely necessary, how do I do it?
Third: I wanna do the 6-hi-beam mod! Is there a write-up somewhere for it? I'd like to check it out.

I read the thread called "DRL Eliminator", but I don't understand it. Is there a write-up somewhere on the internet that I haven't seen? Any help would be awesome.

I think that's all I have for now... I'll edit if I think of more. Thanks in advance!

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
You will need a DRL killer. Its the best way to preserve the HID's. Its late now, so give a few of the members that have done this some time to respond. There are a few "kits" of sorts out there that can make it easy.:cool:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
You may not want to put the HID's in the highs because of the warm-up time needed, they just aren't that effective if you have to turn them on and off all the time. I went with HIR bulbs for the highs instead. Plus, if you do the quad mod, you won't use your highs too often.

I use a DRL Killer I got from a member of the OS by the name of tblaze...works great, never had a problem with it. His DRL killer retains the auto-lights, which, IMO are great. There's no need to get rid of that feature at all.

The quad mod was in an article on the OS, here's a link to it Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum, hopefully someone will be able to get the writeup of it over here.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Matt said:
You may not want to put the HID's in the highs because of the warm-up time needed, they just aren't that effective if you have to turn them on and off all the time. I went with HIR bulbs for the highs instead. Plus, if you do the quad mod, you won't use your highs too often.

I use a DRL Killer I got from a member of the OS by the name of tblaze...works great, never had a problem with it. His DRL killer retains the auto-lights, which, IMO are great. There's no need to get rid of that feature at all.

The quad mod was in an article on the OS, here's a link to it Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum, hopefully someone will be able to get the writeup of it over here.

:iagree: HID's in the highs arent uncommon, but for practicality reasons, we dont hear much of them... ive read that alot of people just put the Sylvannia Silverstars in their High's and call it a day..

i also have the DRL Killer from member TBlazed (who is on here as well i do believe), and i have also had zero problems since the day i put it in.. i too retained my Auto Headlights function with his DRL Killer...

slickster

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
i also have the DRL Killer from member TBlazed (who is on here as well i do believe), and i have also had zero problems since the day i put it in.. i too retained my Auto Headlights function with his DRL Killer.

I'm got his email address from the "old site". I'm going to shoot him an email about this DRL Killer that I keep hearing everyone talk about. I can't seem to find him on here. Hopefully this is the best way to get in contact with him. We'll see, wish me luck!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
slickster said:
I'm got his email address from the "old site". I'm going to shoot him an email about this DRL Killer that I keep hearing everyone talk about. I can't seem to find him on here. Hopefully this is the best way to get in contact with him. We'll see, wish me luck!

he is a stand up guy.. you shouldnt have any problems... hope it all works out for you... :thumbsup:

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Matt said:
...The quad mod was in an article on the OS, here's a link to it Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum...

I was interested in these questions too.

I followed the link provided for the quad beam light. I like it and I am tempted to try it this weekend.
It's clean and almost OEM, but the article did leave one bad taste in my mouth...
Code:
WARNING: After performing this modification, your (quad) high beam headlights will NOT shut off automatically with the headlight delay. After performing this modification, your "flash-to-pass" switch will only operate with the headlights on.
Does it mean to say that the headlights don't auto-shutoff at all when turning the truck off? (huh? How to shut them off then?)
Or that the headlight shutoff delay as set in the DIC no longer works? (The headlights will still turn off with key)
What about trucks that don't have headlight delay?

Has anyone tried this mod? Can you maybe better explain it's behaviour?
Thanks!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I did this mod over 2 years ago now...but I did the bit on the bottom
NOTE: You can get "flash-to-pass" to work if you solder both wires together at a terminal and insert into cavity #11.
. Haven't had any issues with it at all. Maybe because I'm running a DRL killer it's different, but everything works like it should.

F2P works even if the truck is off and the headlights turn off when I switch off the truck...but I don't have the headlights set for perimeter lighting, maybe that's why.

It's easy to undo, so give it a shot and if you don't like what it's doing, change it back. :twocents:

Matt

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Matt said:
I did this mod over 2 years ago now...It's easy to undo, so give it a shot and if you don't like what it's doing, change it back. :twocents:

Ok! Thanks for the info.

In my old truck, I had to solder in a diode, etc...:crazy:

Flipping out two terminals seems easy....I think I will try it....:yes:

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Oh, and I forgot to add that in my Wife's TB, I wired in a relay to an underhood IGN source. I actually went with one relay for each ballast! Works great with a few exceptions....

PROS:
- It gives you the 4-hi mod.
- It makes the HIDs turn on and off with the key.

CONS:
- Perimeter lighting doesn't work.
- Headlamp off delay after park doesn't work.

I'm asking these questions because I'd like a better solution to keep all OEM functions working and have the HID's work without fear of a burnout of anything.

EDIT: After a lengthy search here I think I need two mods. Quad beam(4-hi) mod and the Capacitor mod. :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online