Hi guys!!

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Member
Jan 29, 2012
133
Hi guys. After trying to figure out why nobody but brand new members were posting over on the other site, I figured it out and came here. I have a 05 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 that we bought due to its huge towing capacity for this class of vehicle. That and the comfort and nice drive of the LT. We have gone to 107k this month and my wife is looking for another vehicle. Which means I get to play with the TB. I am seriously thinking of an EXT SS conversion. I have never seen one, and if anyone knows of one and where I can find pictures, I would love to see one.
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
Never seen an ext "SS" conversion. I am sure u could buy the front and rear SS bumpers but the top of ur ext could never look clean as the swb models. But hey good luck to you. The ext do look nice with the door molding off and with the ss wheels. U could even lower it for a more sportier stance.
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
Check out tokahao's profile. He's got an ext with 22" wheels and looks badass.
 

DJones

Member
Jan 21, 2012
701
St. Petersburg, Florida
mnypitTBEXT said:
..and my wife is looking for another vehicle. Which means I get to play with the TB...

Nice! I've never seen an EXT SS conversion either, but I can't inagine it looking bad. I just wouldn't replace the whole engine though, as some have done.

Welcome, and be sure to fill out your profile so we know what color it is. :smile:
 

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Member
Jan 29, 2012
133
DJones said:
Nice! I've never seen an EXT SS conversion either, but I can't inagine it looking bad. I just wouldn't replace the whole engine though, as some have done.

Welcome, and be sure to fill out your profile so we know what color it is. :smile:

No plans to replace the engine, unless I have a catastrophic failure. I am thinking heads, cam, headers, exhaust, and eventually a supercharger. The 5.3 is pretty stout, so some massaging will give me some great performance, I think.

I have been loooking at some EXTs with the roofrack removed, and I am mixed. It looks OK, but I am not too sure about the way the holes have to be filled or the bump in the roof in the back. But I will certainly be lowering it at least to SS height, and doing a set of SS rims. Front bumper for sure, as the wife has hit everything she possibly can and it is being held on by wire ties and bailing wire, LOL. You cant really tell unless I show it to you, but it really needs to be cleaned up and repainted, so I figure may as well upgrade. Rear bumper, I havent decided yet. That is why I was hoping to see another one. I will check out tokahao;s pics.

Thanks
 

Regulator

Member
Nov 20, 2011
2,496
Hiya, Welcome to the Nation. You made a wise choice coming over here.
 

DJones

Member
Jan 21, 2012
701
St. Petersburg, Florida
Even on the EXT, the luggage rack was optional beginning with 2004 LS. I've only ever seen one without it, and couldn't see if it was factory, or removed later. A guard rail took my first bumper at 135,000 miles.
 

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Member
Jan 29, 2012
133
DJones said:
Even on the EXT, the luggage rack was optional beginning with 2004 LS. I've only ever seen one without it, and couldn't see if it was factory, or removed later. A guard rail took my first bumper at 135,000 miles.

She hasnt hit a gaurdrail yet, and unfortunately there is never enough damage to justify actually doing anything to it other than resecuring it. LOL. Of course she always claims she just found it like that, and she didnt actually hit anything.
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,950
North Las Vegas
Welcome!

As stated earlier please fill out your vehicle information to help with future questions you may ask.
 

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Member
Jan 29, 2012
133
djthumper said:
Welcome!

As stated earlier please fill out your vehicle information to help with future questions you may ask.

I was working on it. Its good now
 

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Member
Jan 29, 2012
133
Wooluf1952 said:
:tiphat: Welcome:tiphat:

In case you haven't
heard:
http://gmtnation.com/f5/welcome-gmtnation-com-heres-story-226/




With all the power you're planning on adding, you'll need to do something to beef up the trans.

If its anything like the Camaro, the rear end will also need beefing up, but I will cross that bridge when they blow up. At 107k, I am sure the tranny will need rebuilding soon anyway.
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,844
You have the 8.6" rear, which is actually fairly durable. I wouldn't sweat that.

For the trans, it all depends on how well it has been taken care of, and how well it decides to treat you :laugh: I'm at 153k on mine without any issues, and this is even on a 2002 which apparently that year has a weaker sun shell or something like that. Anyway, since you're at 106k make sure all of your 100k maintenance has been done (transmission fluid and filter change, rear gear oil change, spark plugs, etc).
 

High Voltage

Member
Nov 18, 2011
462
One of the first things I did was remove the rack. I think the lund windjammer helps the rear bump to blend in.
It's high enough most people don't see the plugs in the roof holes!
100_0799-2.jpg
 

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Member
Jan 29, 2012
133
Sparky said:
You have the 8.6" rear, which is actually fairly durable. I wouldn't sweat that.

For the trans, it all depends on how well it has been taken care of, and how well it decides to treat you :laugh: I'm at 153k on mine without any issues, and this is even on a 2002 which apparently that year has a weaker sun shell or something like that. Anyway, since you're at 106k make sure all of your 100k maintenance has been done (transmission fluid and filter change, rear gear oil change, spark plugs, etc).

Everything has been meticulously maintained. Rear and transmission was done several times. I bought tires at Tire Kingdom(buy one get one free deal) and they ALWAYS call me saying they found problems. I take my work car there because I have to. When they put the tires on they called and said they couldnt find anything but they said at 100k it needed a tranny fluid flush. I asked him why they thought so and he said because of mileage. I asked if it looked dirty and he said, no not really. I said, well it shouldnt because I just changed it. Last time it was in they were so desperate to find something that they said I had to change my power steering fluid, and that it should be changed every 30k. I just laughed and said to him, I guess that means you couldnt find anything wrong with it? LOL. I hate letting someone else work on my stuff, but until I can get my own tire machine and balancer, I am stuck taking it someplace.
 

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Member
Jan 29, 2012
133
High Voltage said:
One of the first things I did was remove the rack. I think the lund windjammer helps the rear bump to blend in.
It's high enough most people don't see the plugs in the roof holes!
100_0799-2.jpg

Do you have that windjammer? Do you have pictures?
 

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Member
Jan 29, 2012
133
Hey, wait a minute, that picture wasnt there just a minute ago.
 

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Member
Jan 29, 2012
133
High Voltage said:
hahahaha Yeah I forgot it and did an edit! :biggrin:

Looks like the windjammer is discontinued. I found one on ebay, but I am not really quite ready to start. Its gonna be a little while til we find what my wife wants in a car.
 

High Voltage

Member
Nov 18, 2011
462
mnypitTBEXT said:
Looks like the windjammer is discontinued. I found one on ebay, but I am not really quite ready to start. Its gonna be a little while til we find what my wife wants in a car.

Yeah everything Lund made is discontinued!
Including the infamouse wiper cowl cover!:mad:
Took me 3 years but I found one!!:wootwoot:
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
22,604
Posts
628,938
Members
17,305
Latest member
angelfoot