Hi From FloridaRV

floridarv

Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Hello everyone,

I joined the forum yesterday after purchasing a 2006 Rainier on Friday. I live in Tampa Florida. It is a CXL with the I6 engine with 146000 miles, carfax (I agree cannot always trust, ask me why) shows it was a one owner from MA. Paid $5,800, (as-is) I plan on using it as my Real Estate Client vehicle. I will post some pictures in the picture forum.

I believe it must have belonged to a snowbird since it appears most of the miles where long drives due to the condition of the drivers seat still looks new.

I found this forum while in the showroom since the air suspension was not working and I wanted to determine the cost to repair. Since then, I have ordered replacement arnott bags off ebay ($175) and with this forums help, I plan on switching them out myself.

Of course, as soon as I drive off on comes the check engine light, turned around to have them read it so I know what to fix. Since then I installed my UltraGauge to read and clear my own codes. The code was P0506 (I think) which seems to be the throttle body cleaning. Again thanks to this forum and the instructions from 07 TB Rider, I will be cleaning it myself today.

Thanks again for such a great forum....

Please ask any questions you like.

Terry

View attachment 27159

View attachment 27160

Attachments

• P1320439.jpg
    P1320439.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 6
  • P1320443.jpg
    P1320443.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 5

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Welcome,

you probably should plan fluids change for the drivetrain pretty soon, unless it came with some good maintenance records and you are sure it is current.

Hope you enjoy your new ride, make lots of sales, and have fun here.

:smile:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Welcome to GMTNation :thumbsup:

Nice looking truck, very clean!

floridarv

Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
meerschm said:
Welcome,

you probably should plan fluids change for the drivetrain pretty soon, unless it came with some good maintenance records and you are sure it is current.

Hope you enjoy your new ride, make lots of sales, and have fun here.

:smile:

What is the standard price I should expect to pay to replace the fuilds?

Tried to delet pictures since I added them to the OP.

Attachments

• P1320438.jpg
    P1320438.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 4
  • P1320443.jpg
    P1320443.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 3

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Welcome!

The fluids themselves are not that expensive. What gets you is the labor. The only hard fluid to get is the transfer case, AutoTrak II. Available from GM dealers. Surprisingly for a dealer only item it does not appear to be too expensive.

floridarv

Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
CdnGMan said:
Welcome aboard mate... :tiphat:

I love the richness of that colour ... :thumbsup:

I have not been able find the paint code sticker, is this Red Jewel Tintcoat?

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
floridarv said:
I have not been able find the paint code sticker, is this Red Jewel Tintcoat?

did you look inside the glovebox?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
With that many miles, be sure to change the front/rear dif, and transfer case. If you fell like that truck is binding up (a bit more common for high mileage A4WD), let us know, there are many that know about the problem, and the routes to fix it.

Very pretty color indeed, looks to be in good overall shape.

Welcome to the site, ask questions often.. And be prepared for some of the weird sense of humors around here.

floridarv

Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
TollKeeper said:
With that many miles, be sure to change the front/rear dif, and transfer case. If you fell like that truck is binding up (a bit more common for high mileage A4WD), let us know, there are many that know about the problem, and the routes to fix it.

Very pretty color indeed, looks to be in good overall shape.

Welcome to the site, ask questions often.. And be prepared for some of the weird sense of humors around here.

Are there filters that require replacement in the dif's and transfer case?

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
just fluid changes. no filter there. a couple years ago I had a dealer change my fluids. charged me 2 hours, also had a bad coil and spark plugs changed, (3 hours) all together was $950 or so including parts.

there is a filter in the transmission you may want to get changed, with fluid, this is due every 100k or sooner for severe duty.

did you get records for maintenance? your first post said as is, if I recall.

you also want to have someone who knows check out the shocks and struts, and give you a read on how much life you have on the brakes, and tires.

this stuff for the most part does not have to be done this week, so enjoy the new ride!

do you have a trusted mechanic, or will you do some or all the maintenance yourself?

floridarv

Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
meerschm said:
just fluid changes. no filter there. a couple years ago I had a dealer change my fluids. charged me 2 hours, also had a bad coil and spark plugs changed, (3 hours) all together was $950 or so including parts.

there is a filter in the transmission you may want to get changed, with fluid, this is due every 100k or sooner for severe duty.

did you get records for maintenance? your first post said as is, if I recall.

you also want to have someone who knows check out the shocks and struts, and give you a read on how much life you have on the brakes, and tires.

this stuff for the most part does not have to be done this week, so enjoy the new ride!

do you have a trusted mechanic, or will you do some or all the maintenance yourself?

Thanks for the information. I did not get any records ecept for the carfax that showed they did keep up maintenace at the dealership at least until about 110K miles. I do have a family friend who is my mechanic and has a business. However, I am going to do more myself with the help of this forum.

Are changing the fluids something I should try to do or have it done by my mechanic?

Thanks for everyones likes and help.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
floridarv said:
Thanks for the information. I did not get any records ecept for the carfax that showed they did keep up maintenace at the dealership at least until about 110K miles. I do have a family friend who is my mechanic and has a business. However, I am going to do more myself with the help of this forum.

Are changing the fluids something I should try to do or have it done by my mechanic?

Thanks for everyones likes and help.

My suggestion would be to talk to your mechanic, and perhaps start your DIY with an oil and filter change.

the differentials can be stubborn in getting the fill/drain bolts to move. ( several experienced folks have stripped the plugs trying to get them out)

You can search here for posting/video, and see what is involved. nice to be informed regardless. happy reading/viewing, and I do not mean any April fool!!

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
Welcome to the site. You purchased a very nice vehicle. I know as I own the same year and engine. Mine just reached 102k miles and runs well. The wife and I have owned it since it had 25,000 miles and haven't regretted it. It's taken us coast to coast multiple times and pulled 5000 lbs of cargo along the way. This community is one helluva group committed to the enthuasist.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Oh, another thing to make sure works, and if it doesn't, fix... The spare tire carrier, they are known to get jammed up, and you normally don't find this out until you need to change a flat tire, and by then, your hosed.

I think their is a how to on fixing it as well, not sure. I need to check this on my truck as well. Been to lazy, and since I have only driven it 1000 miles in the last 6 months...

floridarv

Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
TollKeeper said:
Oh, another thing to make sure works, and if it doesn't, fix... The spare tire carrier, they are known to get jammed up, and you normally don't find this out until you need to change a flat tire, and by then, your hosed.

I think their is a how to on fixing it as well, not sure. I need to check this on my truck as well. Been to lazy, and since I have only driven it 1000 miles in the last 6 months...

Will check it out tomorrow.:yes:

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Welcome to the Nation!

floridarv

Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Ok, I stopped by my mechanic and he said I should replace the fluids, fuel filter, spark plugs and he will look it over for anything that might need attention. He said between $300 - $350 does this sound like a correct price?

Thanks

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Depends on what he means by fluids... Most mechanics I have worked with, usually refer to the Tranny and Oil. Most never seem to think about the difs/TC. If he is talking Oil, Tranny (with filter), Front Dif, Rear Dif, Transfer Case (with the correct AutoTrac fluid, which is only available at a dealer), Fuel Filter, and plugs.. That's a pretty decent price at 300. 350 seems a bit high.

floridarv

Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Thanks Brian, He was talking all of those fluids. Plus he is a good friend that we hang with.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DIY Professional

Members Online