Hex bit sizes?

DanD

Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Hewitt, WI
I'msorry if this information is listed somewhere but I can't find it. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows what hex bit sizes I need to remove the front sway bar links, the front shock absorber retaining nuts, and the yoke to control arm nut? I assume they are metric. Want to either just buy the sizes I need or at least get a set with all of the sizes I need. Thanks in advance.

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
I think it's 5mm

DanD

Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Hewitt, WI
Well..thanks for the replies...but i can tell you that my neighbor has a 6mm bit and it was too big. The links on mine are originals.
Anyone know the size for the hex bit on the bolt that connects the strut to the control arm?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I thought it was 5mm for the earlier models and 7mm starting either 04 or 05 before they changed styles on the 07s

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Should never need an excuse to buy tools. Just get the set. Profit!

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
What I did is buy a complete metric set with about every size available. Wasn't that much and never worry.

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
Hey kickass, I keep breaking 5mm drivers building the T/A engine and I decided to get two drivers from Sunnex. They claim they're for impact use. They look pretty nice! No stubby in 5mm tho... If they survive, I'm getting the full set.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
They have it in a wobble style bit: http://www.jbtoolsales.com/sunex-3659-3-8-dr-7-pc-metric-universal-hex-impact-socket-set/ but it's out of stock. Grey pneumatic is another good choice: http://www.jbtoolsales.com/grey-pneumatic-1297mh-3-8-drive-7-piece-hex-driver-metric-set/

I bought the ones I linked in the previous post because they had them on sale for like 50 bucks or something like that. I will be using it this summer to crack the end links to my front sway bar off. If I can't get onto it that good with a wobble impact extension, I will just torch them off like I did my rears.

I know the end links are not a 5mm size but I cannot recall if I made a 6 work or a 7. I am pretty sure it was a 6 because I had those crappy ones you can get from lowes that are not impact rated and it snapped right off when I put a cheater bar on to attempt breaking the sway bar link loose. They replaced it for free since it's kobalt and guaranteed for life but still, those links are in there hard.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.