Help with cutting open Envoy headlights...

drofenaz

Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
When it comes time to Dremel my headlights, is [video=youtube;55Glb9UyVo0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Glb9UyVo0[/video] the proper angle to run the Dremel in order to get the housing open, or do I need to cut at another angle?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The angle of the cut doesn't have to be perfectly perpendicular to the housing. As long as you are cutting low enough to get under the front clear lenses lip, then you'll be fine.

You're looking at the top gray layer of the rear housing, a layer of adhesive sealant, then the lip of the clear front lens, another layer of adhesive sealant (this is what you want to be cutting through), and then the base of the rear piece. Hope that helps some. There's a write up I did in the Articles section for TB headlights, the process is more or less the same, some of the pics may be helpful. Good luck!

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
The angle is not important. However, that video shows the light being cut right at the bend. You want to cut at about the midpoint between the edge and the 90deg bend. Since there is no center section on envoy lights, the lens needs a "ledge" to keep it from pushing too far back on the housing when reassembling. You can use a flathead screwdriver to pry the two halves apart.

drofenaz

Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
smitty5150 said:
The angle is not important. However, that video shows the light being cut right at the bend. You want to cut at about the midpoint between the edge and the 90deg bend. Since there is no center section on envoy lights, the lens needs a "ledge" to keep it from pushing too far back on the housing when reassembling. You can use a flathead screwdriver to pry the two halves apart.

That makes sense. I'd taken my headlights out over the weekend with the intent of doing the projector retrofit, but wasn't sure where exactly to stick my Dremel. Thanks for the help!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.