Help! Transgo Install Servo Problem

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
I guess I'll have to wait and see tomorrow

I am pushing it in as far as I can, I have taken the servo off before and getting the snap ring back in was still not that easy but idk what's wrong now

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
BlazingTrails said:
You should not have to force anything. I would triple check all the parts under that cover to ensure everything is right and lined up. It sounds like the spring may be off center.....
Everything was correct when assembling and it is springy as it sits now but I just can't get the snap ring into the housing

Any tips to get the snap ring in?

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Gerbil21 said:
Everything was correct when assembling and it is springy as it sits now but I just can't get the snap ring into the housing

Any tips to get the snap ring in?
What you want to do is push the cap in all the way, take the snap ring and push the right half into the groove then release the cap it should stay recessed. The push the other half of the ring with one hand while taking a screw driver in the other hand to seat the ring. Once the ring is completely in the surround push the cap down again and verify that the snap ring is seated all the way around. Once set start the truck and while running check for leaks.

Reactions: Gerbil21

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
BlazingTrails said:
What you want to do is push the cap in all the way, take the snap ring and push the right half into the groove then release the cap it should stay recessed. The push the other half of the ring with one hand while taking a screw driver in the other hand to seat the ring. Once the ring is completely in the surround push the cap down again and verify that the snap ring is seated all the way around. Once set start the truck and while running check for leaks.
Ok well i guess I'll see if that works tommorw

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
BlazingTrails said:
It's as good as done bro, you got it. :yes:
OK thanks I hope It just pops in and I'll be driving a smooth shifting trans. With a little extra [emoji1] and no more slide bump, harsh1-2 shift

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
BlazingTrails said:
It sounds like the spring may be off center.....
That's what I was thinking as well.

Is this the kit with the gold shim? I believe you remove the shim if it's too tight. You should be able to compress the cover about 1/8" beyond where the snap ring can be removed, if you can't get the ring cleared of the recess then obviously something is wrong so don't keep forcing it too much.

Did you make sure you installed the 4th piston with the higher center post inside the cover?

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
gmcman said:
That's what I was thinking as well.

Is this the kit with the gold shim? I believe you remove the shim if it's too tight. You should be able to compress the cover about 1/8" beyond where the snap ring can be removed, if you can't get the ring cleared of the recess then obviously something is wrong so don't keep forcing it too much.

Did you make sure you installed the 4th piston with the higher center post inside the cover?
I don't think the spring is off centered since it sits correctly and is springy when pressed also when we first put it in it was off centered and it didn't even move, now it all went in good and it can be compressed by hand

Also yes I am using the gold shim and I never thought about that being a problem I will give it a try without it and see if it works thanks [emoji1]

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
OK well it all went well

I ended up not using the gold spacer idk if it really made the whole difference or not but I did get it in [emoji1]

One thing I learned while using the tire iron (no prybar) was instead of pushing the tip on the cover to push it in, it was better to put it past the cover up to the floor pan and then i was able to push the bar lightly instead of pulling

Either way I got it in and it drove good it still seemed to have a bit of the slide bump but its much much less and no more harsh shifting just the nice feeling shift kit also I'm shure it will go away since i did a few 1-2 shifts and the last few i never felt any slide bump.

Also you can feeling the holding (I think) I felt it stay in 2nd while coasting.

Either way thanks a lot everyone for all the help it drives much better [emoji1]

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
OK well I took it for another drive and it was AMAZING

The shifts were so smooth and clean

This transmission is perfect now, I need to take it for a highway drive and see if 1st great still binds.

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
OK well as per my other thread of binding in first gear I think the servo fixed it. I tested it today and felt no binding in first gear it drove fine, I will have to check again later today when it's hot

Escapepilot

Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
BlazingTrails said:
:no:

Do it right escapepilot.......
That wasn't me that banged the floorboard...

Finally did get it out though. Got it out enough to grab the seal and cut it and try to pull it out, but wouldn't budge. When I did get the cover out, you could tell where the O-ring was stuck to both the cover and the case. No wonder it wouldn't budge.

Its not back together yet, but at least its heading that way.

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Escapepilot said:
That wasn't me that banged the floorboard...

Finally did get it out though. Got it out enough to grab the seal and cut it and try to pull it out, but wouldn't budge. When I did get the cover out, you could tell where the O-ring was stuck to both the cover and the case. No wonder it wouldn't budge.

Its not back together yet, but at least its heading that way.
Is there anything I can help with? Just remember to make sure everything is seated and springy when you put the servo back in that was my main problem when reinstalling also read my last post on using the tire iron to push it will help when putting in the snap ring

Also make the notches as per the instructions I think I may of had made them a bit to small and I still have a bit of slide bump sometimes but nothing to be worried over since its very small as compared to how it was before but it did fix my first gear binding

Escapepilot

Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
Gerbil21 said:
Is there anything I can help with? Just remember to make sure everything is seated and springy when you put the servo back in that was my main problem when reinstalling also read my last post on using the tire iron to push it will help when putting in the snap ring

Also make the notches as per the instructions I think I may of had made them a bit to small and I still have a bit of slide bump sometimes but nothing to be worried over since its very small as compared to how it was before but it did fix my first gear binding
Thanks for the offer...my biggest hurdle at the moment is time.

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Well now that's is out you will be able to assemble quickly just make sure you have a big enough vice I had to loosen the back bolt and extend mines almost to the max. After that and the notches the next hardest part and most time consuming is the snap ring

Also I would guess you are doing this in a garage? Because after being under a car with no space to move parked at the curb for two days that was the hardest part lol I wish I had a lift

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
OK well I'm pretty shure I spun the tires a good bit I was stopped and changing lanes when a car came around the corner so I floored it but not wot and I heard them spinning lol

This whole servo and shift kit works good now I need a tune[emoji1]

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have been able to use the lift at my buddy's work when I did my transmission stuff so that does make it a lot easier.

Escapepilot

Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
After numerous delays from stuck parts, work, traveling and such, I finally finished my Transgo install!

A few tips:

1. Transgo does not include gaskets or o-rings so go ahead and order those.
2. Start with the servo on the side. My cover was stuck. If you can't get that off, no sense starting the rest.
3. If you are considering a body lift, the servo cover will be easier to get to after the body lift.
4. If you don't have the body lift, go ahead and drop the transmission crossmember - there's not enough room to work on the servo cover without lowering the trans a bit.
5. Get a new retaining ring for the servo cover. They are inexpensive and difficult to remove without bending so go ahead and replace it.

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Escapepilot said:
After numerous delays from stuck parts, work, traveling and such, I finally finished my Transgo install!

A few tips:

1. Transgo does not include gaskets or o-rings so go ahead and order those.
2. Start with the servo on the side. My cover was stuck. If you can't get that off, no sense starting the rest.
3. If you are considering a body lift, the servo cover will be easier to get to after the body lift.
4. If you don't have the body lift, go ahead and drop the transmission crossmember - there's not enough room to work on the servo cover without lowering the trans a bit.
5. Get a new retaining ring for the servo cover. They are inexpensive and difficult to remove without bending so go ahead and replace it.
Happy to hear it all went well

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online