Help Needed with removing transmission pan

am-radio

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
I'm trying to remove my transmission pan. I want to change all the fluid and the filter. I pumped out about 5 or 6 quarts, removed all the bolts in the tranny pan, but the exhaust seems to be in the way. I can't drop the pan low enough to slip it past the internal parts of the transmission. I've got all the bolts out, but I don't want to force it out, because I'm worried I'll damage internal parts. Is there a trick? Lift transmission a bit with a jack? Pry exhaust down for me clearance? I'm going to continue to try to remove it, but hoping for a quick response.

am-radio

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Got it. Pried down on exhaust and pan slid out. I was actually pretty amazed how clean the pan was. No sludge or black stuff. A little bit on the magnet, that's all. Continue refilling then the transfer case fluid change is next.

Dec 4, 2011
nothing like a big bar or screw driver to rearrange the parts. LOL

I had forgotten about that part being a pia to get out.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
am-radio said:
Got it. Pried down on exhaust and pan slid out. I was actually pretty amazed how clean the pan was. No sludge or black stuff. A little bit on the magnet, that's all. Continue refilling then the transfer case fluid change is next.

Well then it's more than likely been serviced recently. Right before you took hold of it more than likely. Nothing wrong with changing the tranny fluid every year or two.

am-radio

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
I'd have to look at the receipts. I know the diffs and transfer case were done about 40 or 50,000 ago. Just want them all done at the same time.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
am-radio said:
I'd have to look at the receipts. I know the diffs and transfer case were done about 40 or 50,000 ago. Just want them all done at the same time.

Yeah those are due now as well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.