Help me diagnosis a rough idle / vibration

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I'm looking for everyone's 2cents, although in Canada that's not worth anything now that the penny is gone.

So my truck has always idled very smooth, once the fan clutch shuts off I have to question if it's even running sometimes. Last night I started the truck, which had been running many times through out the day already, and it immediately felt rough. The best way to describe it would be like the vibration if you had an exhaust leak near the engine, but the exhaust sounds fine. It's not the 10hz vibration associated with the motor mounts, its much faster then that. I want to say it feels like RPM/6 but my hands are not exactly a frequency counter. It's much more noticeable when sitting at idle but I can still feel it while driving. Although the truck doesn't feel under powered, I do drive like a grandma. The same rough vibration is present in drive and park. I have "Torque" so I checked O2 and tach, both look fine, tach is steady and O2 is cycling. There's no smell of gas at the tailpipe or under the hood. I cleaned the TB just a couple of months ago and had the battery cable off for an hour. I replaced the air filter before the end of the summer. Regarding gas; I always fill the tank at about an 1/8th and right now I'm at a 1/2 tank. So I don't think I picked up any bad gas. We can't get any BG44 here in Canada, but I'm going to drop out later and pick something up for the tank.

Any thoughts? What can I monitor/check with Torque that might point me in one direction or exclude something? I'd of course like to try the simple things first. It's too dam cold to be hanging out in under the hood scratching my head.

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Anybody?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I would pull the serpentine belt and see if it's something on the front of the engine. Or inside the engine.

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
the roadie said:
I would pull the serpentine belt and see if it's something on the front of the engine. Or inside the engine.

Good idea. Tks Roadie. I have to go out of town for a couple days with work. I'll report back the result after the weekend.

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Ok, I'm puzzled. So I forgot to mention one thing. I had a CEL the other day, it turned out to be P0442 small evap leak. I know these can sometimes be a pita to trouble shoot, but could be something real simple like a gas cap not sealed properly. So I reset the code and decided to wait to see if it came up again, there were no other symptoms. The middle of the next day is when the rough idle started, which lasted for two days. The CEL never came back on. Today the rough idle has disappeared. What has changed? The weather has been cold (-10 Celsius) for a while now and over night it went above freezing. So is it possible I have moisture somewhere that is freezing and causing the rough idle? What could be the culprit? Even while it was freezing the truck was up to full temp several times, maybe 30mins each time. At the end of the summer I detailed under the hood, soaking everything in Simple Green and hosing off. I never had any issues when I started the truck.

If its gone and doesn't come back, yea me :wootwoot: but it will drive me nuts not having any idea what could have caused it.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I was going to guess an electric spark issue with one of your spark plugs. or a coil. would drop codes, i would think.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online