Heavy vibrations at 30mph??

c bausch

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Hey everyone ! This moring as i step out for work i get in my truck and it's about 60 degrees out . So i start it up put it in drive and as im going around 30 mph or accelerating through 30 mph i get a heavy viberation in the whole truck ?? As i accelerate to 50 mph on the highway it goes away , so the first chance i get i pull over thinking its low preasure tire .. But everything looks fine and at right psi . So can anyone think of anything that it might be? :no:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
c bausch said:
Hey everyone ! This moring as i step out for work i get in my truck and it's about 60 degrees out . So i start it up put it in drive and as im going around 30 mph or accelerating through 30 mph i get a heavy viberation in the whole truck ?? As i accelerate to 50 mph on the highway it goes away , so the first chance i get i pull over thinking its low preasure tire .. But everything looks fine and at right psi . So can anyone think of anything that it might be? :no:

Maybe a weight came off the tires and is no longer balanced? That is my first thought. However when my water pump started failing(outer bearing) I had a slight hum(louder at idle though) and a vibration again worse in idle. Motor mounts? But I don't know if that would be it as i'm not familiar with the Mmounts.
My other thought would be alignment per the hubby's suggestion but he said that usually happens after or around 50mph. Or the faster it goes the worse it gets.

Is there any noise associated with it? Like a humming? :undecided:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012

c bausch

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
I feel it through the seat and maybe the floor board , no noise thats with the vib just a vid at 30 mph ill checjs the weights when i can

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Any loose front suspension parts can cause a vibration that goes away with speed. Some of them are very dangerous. Get the truck on jack stands and start checking.

You may even have loose/broken wheel studs.

Wiggle the tires at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions to check for loose tie rods or a loose steering rack. Also upper and lower control arm mounting bolts and bushings. Wiggle at 12 and 6 o'clock to check ball joints. Look everywhere for missing fasteners.

Inspect the rear axle control arms and panhard bar for loose bolts. Some folks have even had salt corrosion eat through a rear control arm and they can break!

Take it to a shop if you need to. Don't mess around too long with "heavy" vibrations. It's really unsafe.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I had 5...that's FIVE out of six lugs loose a few days after a balance and rotation. Vibrations were the same as yours and freaked me out. I could turn the lugs by hand. Like Roadie stated, don't play around and don't drive it until you have checked everything.

Some things will be masked by the weight of the vehicle, jack up the lower control arm to keep the spring tension from pushing on the joints.

c bausch

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
I found out that one weight fell off one of my rims also my kids were driving my truck ( pretending to ) and switched my switch to "auto" so with a unbalanced tire and every time it would kick on vibration , it dumb but better then beibg something serious

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online