Headunit mounting

stickypoop

Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Has anyone used the Scosche GM1583B Dash Kit? http://www.crutchfield.ca/GM_1990_Up_Kit_E_p/142GM1583B.htm

The instructions that came with it mention that the rear of the stereo should be supported but it is unclear exactly how. The diagram lists "various rear support straps" although my kit (unopened package) did not include anything that looks like that... ? There is one that I may be able to make work but it doesn't seem to be designed to be used that way. I'll get some photos up later if no one is able to chime in before then.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
You don't need a rear support for it. Only the OEM one has that stupid white nub that sticks out the back and is screwed into the case of the radio. I had a single and double din without any rear braces to hold it and it was just fine.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I had a similar dash kit in my EXT when I bought it (had an aftermaket single DIN already)

:iagree: You don't need to worry about a rear support. Previous unit didn't have one, and when I dropped in a double DIN a couple years ago, it's only supported by the front where it's secured to the mounting kit.

Only catch, depending on the length of your radio, you may need to trim some of the plastic inside the dash to get enough clearance to seat the HU.

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
I have NEVER in my life installed a rear support bracket in ANY car, and I've installed at least 1 radio in EVERY vehicle I've owned (with the exception of the old plymouth) which is 7 different cars and atleast 9 different radios (2 for other cars that didn't belong to me) and thats not counting the number of times I've taken a radio from an old car and moved it to the new one, like the one in my firebird got moved to the trailblazer and I put a cheaper one in the firebird.

Decado

Sep 16, 2013
+1 for not needing the rear support. I put a double DIN in my Envoy and it's fine without the rear support. I've never used them on several previous vehicles either.

stickypoop

Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Dropped it in without rear support and it seems just fine... although the dash kit fits like garbage. Oh well, so goes the aftermarket

Thanks everyone!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CmdrRaster

Members Online