Headlight problems, HID's not turning on anymore

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I got the DRL module in the mail today. 9006 PLUG N' PLAY IN-LINE HID/DRL MODULE | 1 EACH I tried the lights before hooking anything up and they worked DRL and all. I hooked the module up between the relay harness and the factory harness and no lights turned on just the side markers. So I flipped the module and reconnected it and still nothing turned on even when I put the lights to on with the knob by the driver side. I hooked this module up by the driver side by the way. So I took the module out and hooked the relay back to the factory harness like it was before...STILL no lights and now I have no idea what is going on. Would it be a fuse that got blown or what? Any ideas? Now I do not know anything about fuses or how to check them etc etc...i know where the box is and all and how to get to it but cannot tell if its blown or which one is for the head lights etc.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Fuses # 3 & 6 are for the low beams. You may need a meter or test light. You can't always tell just by looking at the fuse, if it's bad.
Relay #46 covers both low beams.
Swap #46 and 45 to see if the relay is bad.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Fuses # 3 & 6 are for the low beams. You may need a meter or test light. You can't always tell just by looking at the fuse if it's bad.
Relay #46 covers both low beams.
Swap #46 and 45 to see if the relay is bad.

Ok so do I just pull 46 and 45 and put them in each others places then?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
ItsOnVoy said:
Ok so do I just pull 46 and 45 and put them in each others places then?

Yes. Just remember to change them back after checking. Relay #45 is for the fan.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Yes. Just remember to change them back after checking. Relay #45 is for the fan.

I just switched the two and still nothing came on and now I switched them back. So does that mean my relay went bad or something from that module?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
No. It means the relay is probably good.
Next check the fuses. Or, if you can't tell if they are bad and don't have a meter or test light, just put new ones in.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
No. It means the relay is probably good.
Next check the fuses. Or, if you can't tell if they are bad and don't have a meter or test light, just put new ones in.

hmmm I dont know if I have new ones is all or do you get them from a auto store or something? Now i went out took the HID bulbs out and put a regular bulb in and that still did not turn on, so its the factory relay right? Has to be a fuse or something? and I am checking fuse 3 and 6 right?

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Yeah fuse 3 and 6 are burnt, that U in the middle of them is burnt and disconnected and all the other ones I pulled to compare to are a nice U connected and my buddy I called said they are bad and to buy new ones so I am going to go and get some and see how it works out...stupid module :no:

2034388-blown-car-fuse-side-by-side-with-a-good-one.jpg

pretty much like these ones my 3 and 6 look like the left and the rest of mine look like the right

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea Sam.. those are what blown fuses look like... looks like its time to junk module and do the cap mode or wire up your own DRL Killer with an automotive relay and some wires...

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:
yea Sam.. those are what blown fuses look like... looks like its time to junk module and do the cap mode or wire up your own DRL Killer with an automotive relay and some wires...

well fuse 3 and 6 were blown and I went and got a pack of fuses (2 came in them for $4 a bit expensive but whatever) and I just changed fuse 6 and both came on...should I still change fuse 3 or its fine to leave it alone?

I am kind of annoyed I am going to see if I can return this module because I was happy for it and now I ended up paying more for that stupid thing :mad:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i would replace both.. they are there for a reason...

and yea, i'd return that thing as well...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
IIRC this was a complaint about the V-LED DRL modules on the OS years ago when Jetttstream used to sell them, so he stopped offering them. More trouble than they were worth. I thought I saw some fairly recent posts before the jailbreak, about the quality of these going up and them working properly on first installs. Maybe those members got lucky? :confused:

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:
i would replace both.. they are there for a reason...

and yea, i'd return that thing as well...

Ok yeah I am going to replace both!

Blckshdw said:
IIRC this was a complaint about the V-LED DRL modules on the OS years ago when Jetttstream used to sell them, so he stopped offering them. More trouble than they were worth. I thought I saw some fairly recent posts before the jailbreak, about the quality of these going up and them working properly on first installs. Maybe those members got lucky? :confused:

I read all 5 star reviews on that website for this item...I dont know if I just put them in wrong to start with because they are polar so that could have blew the fuse no idea!! I am going to stay without it and call it a day lol

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Sorry to hear. I thought the bugs were worked out a long time ago. I recently did a pair (no relay harness) in a TB and didn't have any problems.

If you're bored or whatever, plug the module into the drivers side low beam connector, but don't plug the other end into anything. Force the headlights into drl mode and get a voltage reading @ the end that's not connected.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
MAY03LT said:
Sorry to hear. I thought the bugs were worked out a long time ago. I recently did a pair (no relay harness) in a TB and didn't have any problems.

If you're bored or whatever, plug the module into the drivers side low beam connector, but don't plug the other end into anything. Force the headlights into drl mode and get a voltage reading @ the end that's not connected.

No idea why it didn't work for me but oh well was worth a shot...now to try and get my money back.

Thanks for all your help guys I deff learned something today :tiphat::yes:

was just scared if the relay went bad or something...glad it was just a fuse

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Wow I got the thing to work no fuses blew this time either :biggrin: my dad and I took out the voltmeter and start to measure the V across the thing the harness etc so we can find out what is positive on the module (only down fault it doesn't tell u which cost me some more money) and we hooked it up again and now it's working :celebrate: no buzzing or flicker in DRL mode! They turn on like it's night time so glad now!!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
ItsOnVoy said:
Wow I got the thing to work no fuses blew this time either :biggrin: my dad and I took out the voltmeter and start to measure the V across the thing the harness etc so we can find out what is positive on the module (only down fault it doesn't tell u which cost me some more money) and we hooked it up again and now it's working :celebrate: no buzzing or flicker in DRL mode! They turn on like it's night time so glad now!!

Might be helpful to future members to have that information too before they hook it up wrong. :yes:

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Might be helpful to future members to have that information too before they hook it up wrong. :yes:

Oh I didn't find out which is positive. That thing is crazy, we put it one way it reads a V and we flip it and same thing so we just plugged it again and said ok let's just give it a shot and we got lucky and it works. I did email the company complaining how its stupid that they can't put something as simple as a plus or a minus on there. Hopefully they fix that for future buyers. Sorry!

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
I'm not sure about the kit you bought, but I bought a DDM kit for our TB after I put a set on my Audi. I discovered that for some reason I have to reverse the plug into the balast. The way it's meant to plug in the lights won't work. Took me awhile to figure that out. Was pretty frustrated when I checked the ballast and bulbs on the other car and found them working.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
mikekey said:
I'm not sure about the kit you bought, but I bought a DDM kit for our TB after I put a set on my Audi. I discovered that for some reason I have to reverse the plug into the balast. The way it's meant to plug in the lights won't work. Took me awhile to figure that out. Was pretty frustrated when I checked the ballast and bulbs on the other car and found them working.

I have a DDM tuning kit also, I honestly do not remember if I had to do that also. I had my cuz help me put it in since he has put some into his car before and knows how to do them.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
ItsOnVoy said:
....we hooked it up again and now it's working :celebrate: no buzzing or flicker in DRL mode! They turn on like it's night time so glad now!!

PROPS for going back out there.:thumbsup::cool:

ItsOnVoy said:
we put it one way it reads a V and we flip it and same thing

Did your meter show a - sign when you reversed the leads?

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
MAY03LT said:
Did your meter show a - sign when you reversed the leads?

Well I disconnected the relay harness from the factory and I started with the relay and read nothing so I went to the factory one and we found out that the orange wire is positive. So we though ok let me plug the harness in and measure the other side to see If we get a - like you said to see if it was backward and we test one way and got a positive and the other way a negative and it's hard to follow so we flipped it and tested the same two to start with and also positive and then switched it like the last one and got negative so it did nothing to help on which way to plug it in. Hope this makes sense? We just guessed again and said if it blows a fuse again oh we'll I bought extras and surely enough it worked so didn't have to deal with it.

If the module was color coded or had a simple plus or minus it would have made my 3-4hr job a simple 5mins lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online