Headlight Fabrication..

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
So I realized quickly that there are currently no "halo" style headlights for the 06+ TB LT's. What a drag for a guy like me that really appreciates the look as well as design of a good set of halo's. I've searched everywhere guys, trust me, they don't exist. If you can prove me wrong on this one, then by all means.

After getting turned away by an individual recently regarding this issue, I decided to speak a little louder about it. Remember, I'm an oppertunist. If I feel like its worth a shot in the dark I'll usually go for it.

There's a place here in town that "rebuilds" and creates custom headlights. They have all the material they need to offer a helping hand. My plan? I've decided to try and get a hold of a particular set of halo's (the ones that have the slots for the old-styled grill crossbars) and take off the newer ones that are already on my TB. From there I'll be removing the plastic material from both sets of headlights and going to town on them. Now I don't want to spoil my plans completely, so in the meantime I'll just say that the end result will involve the halo set having one whole plastic covering (without the holes in the center for the crossbar) It's going to involve a lot of patients and common sense. It can be done, it will be done, help me make that happen or at least make an attempt on this guys.

I've seen the set of halos I want a hundred times online. Before I go that route, I want to know if any of you out there have a fully functioning set that you might be willing to sell? If that's you out there pm me and I'll play ball.

Thanks for reading this guys -Lee

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea, there is really no aftermarket lights for the LT models.. there is a Vendor on here that will open um up and add projectors, clear the corners, etc... but im not sure about halos...

subscribed to this so i can see the end result :yes:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Very well.. Give me a few days to knock out the ordering process for the lights. Once I get them here we're taking everything apart, cutting, shaving, realigning and customizing. I've even got a few new ideas to "add" a darker shade to the new headlight (LT 06+) an make them blend in well with the halo's.

If the company that produces these halo's finds out I'm doing this, I'm screwed... I think.

But then again if this works out well for me, maybe it'll start a new trend for those of us that have the newer styled lamps!

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
:Lager Louts: i'll def be watching this one

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Correct me if I am wrong, but would it not be easier to use the grill form the SS and run the headlights with the crossbar. Or does the SS grill not line up with LT bumper?

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but would it not be easier to use the grill form the SS and run the headlights with the crossbar. Or does the SS grill not line up with LT bumper?

To my understanding, the answer to your question is yes. But that's not good enough for me. I have no desire to use the grill from the SS on my TB. It looks tacky in my opinion and anybody with an SS that knows a thing or two about Trailblazer's would give me negative criticism over it. Not that I'm one to care what anybody thinks about what all I do to my ride, I just don't see any reason in arguing or even putting myself into a position like that when I practically agree with the opposer. It looks stupid. Unless I have an SS, I don't rate to sport SS parts. That's just where I personally stand with it, obviously not sending offense to the people out there that do it.

I want the LT factory look. It gives me room to build off of and work with. Therefor I've decided to craft my own.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
To further prove my point, let's just say I was in the process of making it happen. The SS grill from my buddies fit perfectly and clamped down all the way around as it should. Two things: It was an SS part (the vents pretty much gave it away) and it wasn't my color. Even if I were to spend the money to obtain a new SS grill, it'd have to be sprayed my factory color. I didn't want to go that route with it.

I want to keep the newer headlight design because it follows today's current GM trends. It looks newer. Even a guy that had no clue about Trailblazer's/Chevy's could point out "Hey, that's the older model isn't it? Didn't the older Silverado's/Tahoes/Avalanches/Trailblazers have that split design?"

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I completely understand. Personally I like the LT bumper better than the SS one. I would like to get a hold of a set of LT bumpers and run the SS grill with the headlights I currently have. I prefer the look of the cross bar over the LT headlights. Something about the flat section in between the headlights and the signal. Then again that is just me and I have a grill with the headlight washer assembly holes, which I have left open.

Although that would be an interesting spot to put a "halo" Bowtie.

I wish you luck in your quest, it seems like it should come out nicely. I will be following this for future reference.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I completely understand. Personally I like the LT bumper better than the SS one. I would like to get a hold of a set of LT bumpers and run the SS grill with the headlights I currently have. I prefer the look of the cross bar over the LT headlights. Something about the flat section in between the headlights and the signal. Then again that is just me and I have a grill with the headlight washer assembly holes, which I have left open.

Although that would be an interesting spot to put a "halo" Bowtie.

I wish you luck in your quest, it seems like it should come out nicely. I will be following this for future reference.

Completely respectable my friend.

Again, it's all user preference!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
blazinlow89 said:

I know man, I saw it the other day while browsing through the threads. What possessed somebody to create something so hidious in my opinion is completely beyond me. I wouldn't be caught dead in a Trailblazer with those on. Again, this is only MY take on things.

It looks like somebody came up with the idea to create something new which I give them props for, but they went the complete opposite direction with it.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Just dropping in to let you guys know that we're going to be starting our headlight project soon.

I'm currently in the process of dropping my motor back in LOL -Octane

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
If you need any help or advice, let me know. I have been doing quite a few sets lately and I am starting to experiment as well. I actually just ordered a newer style set of lights to mod just for the hell of it.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
smitty5150 said:
If you need any help or advice, let me know. I have been doing quite a few sets lately and I am starting to experiment as well. I actually just ordered a newer style set of lights to mod just for the hell of it.

Thanks man, I'll keep you in mind once we start on it. The halo's are currently here, but until we finish up with putting the motor back in and throwing everything back on I won't be able to do much.

Just letting you guys know I haven't forgotten. One project at a time. -Octane

bullguy

Aug 14, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
Thanks man, I'll keep you in mind once we start on it. The halo's are currently here, but until we finish up with putting the motor back in and throwing everything back on I won't be able to do much.

Just letting you guys know I haven't forgotten. One project at a time. -Octane

Actully iam planning to mod my headlight with halo projector,see below the pic of my halo projector.

v8eb2f.jpg

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
You could always buy a set for an LS/SS and remove the cover off both the new lights and your old lights, then put the old cover on the new lights.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Me007gold said:
You could always buy a set for an LS/SS and remove the cover off both the new lights and your old lights, then put the old cover on the new lights.

This is in fact a solution, I've got a set of halo's already and am pursuing getting at least two more sets of LT headlights.. I saw the clips around the units that look to be holding the clear plastic material in place, but I'll bet that they're sealed in there pretty good regardless. We'll be cutting into them shortly and going along with my plan of attack. I've had a minor set-back with the truck recently, but as soon as the issue is resolved we'll be on our way with the halo project! -Octane

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
It's looks as if you've taken the cover off. Explain to me what I'm looking at please so that I may further elaborate.

You've confirmed one of my suspicions.. You CAN pull the cover off without breaking anything.

bullguy

Aug 14, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
It's looks as if you've taken the cover off. Explain to me what I'm looking at please so that I may further elaborate.

You've confirmed one of my suspicions.. You CAN pull the cover off without breaking anything.

Yes i had to separate lens by cutting the edge and sliding knife to separate the glue,i tried the hot gun method but it doesn't soften the glue at all so i had to opt for this idea.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Well done my friend. Thanks for shedding some light man! Much appreciated! -Octane

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
blazinlow89 said:

Have you seen the price of the SS grille? You'd think it came with the V8

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online