Head Unit Running HOT

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Tonight I noticed my head unit (the Bose one with tape deck) was running really hot. It was very warm to the touch, all the buttons and display screen, a bit warmer than usual, then my cd I was playing stopped playing and ejected out on its own. Upon grabbing the cd, it was super hot, kind of like toast right out of the toaster. I let it cool down a bit but it still ran hot, and my cd player continued working the rest of the drive. I know other people have reported them being warm, but it seems like something else is going on now.

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
I have had this issue in my GMT330 jimmy with the tape deck. Never any long term damage (it did this for 3+ years) and persisted despite ejecting the tape to cool it off and turning on the a/c as the vents are routed behind and exit just above the radio on it as well.

I never found a cause, never found a fix. It was intermittent and unpredictable but aside from ejecting that tape back out at me it never resulted in any further problems.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Before I switched out my factory head uint I noticed it ran very warm when the dash lights were turned up, still warm when turned down but not hot..CD as well came out warm.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Head units generate a lot of waste heat. Add the fact that there's no ventillation back there and no place for the heat to go, and you have a perfect replacement heater should your blower motor fail.

Thank the lord for fail-safes.

The only way to fix that would to be find some way to help circulate the air behind the head unit, within the limited space GM gave us.

I was actually contemplating installing a dash grille over my HU so the hot air had someplace to get out by.

pejeeper

Jan 27, 2012
Were you running heat int he truck? Could the ducting for the vents over the head unit be broken/cracked etc and allowing heat down behind the dash?

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Doubt it's the issue.

My HU gets stupid hot even in the summer time when I have the A/C cranked. Any leakeage would, in theory, cool the unit down, which isn't the case in my experience.

A serious lack of air circulation is the problem, IMO.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Both my TBs factory HUs get stupid hot, its a GM thing Im afraid. Ive tried using the dimmer at different settings without much luck, finally said screw it and just dont touch the LCD screens. Same goes for the digital HVAC controls.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I had the climate control on the highest temperature setting without the fans on, then tried turning the temp all the way down. Didn't seem to make a difference, even tried the dimmer. Sounds like its just a GM thing and the heat is not being displaced. Just weird how its much more noticeable when its winter, maybe because the heat contrasts more in the cold then it would in the summer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online