Have to keep my envoy running!

TheBigKahuna

Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Hey Folks. My name is Tim (hertzog27-other site) and I am asking for suggestions and help to keep my 02 GMC Envoy running on the road. It is the only vehicle I have and I am a single father with two children and yes I do work a full time job but the costs of everything lately far exceeds my paycheck and my credit is recovering from divorce and bankruptcy and I cannot afford vehicle payments nor obtain a vehicle loan (already tried) and I can barely cover everything because lately I've been taking out money for other bill payments to pay for parts on the envoy. I have done some of the repairs myself via this website and I am so thankful to you guys that post the "How to do" and make it simple for some of us to understand with the pics. If anyone has any suggestions or spare parts they are not using that are in good condition or even spare parts for sale I am open to all suggestions or ideas. If you don't have any spare parts and would like to make a donation instead you can donate at my GOFUNDME page at:

My vehicle needs some repair work to keep me and my family going! by Tim H - GoFundMe

My Envoy is getting up there in Mileage (115324) and it still is in good condition minus the normal wear and tear stuff. I will post what is all needed for the vehicle. All of the repairs will be done through Hildebrand Motor Company in Allensville, PA. 717-483-6606 Torry Hildebrand is the owner and does the work on my vehicle and has worked on the envoy for a while now. He's a very good mechanic- He's Honest and he knows his vehicles! Very reliable! All work bills will be posted on my Gofundme site.

Here are the damages:

The factory air suspension on the vehicle is shot and I had to rig the air suspension (thanks envoy members for the $5.00 brass T idea) so that I can fill the air shocks manually or else the back end will drag. The air shock bags are starting to crack and will need to be replaced with normal struts/shocks and springs (some on here suggested to go with the Z71 springs). Both rear window motor assembly units need to be replaced on the rear passenger door and rear driver side door. I have the passenger rear window closed with a clamp to keep the window up and disconnected the power supply for now. The front shocks need to be replaced. I will need new front and rear rotors and rear brake pads. The thermostat will need to be replaced as the SES light indicated code PO128. The tires will also need to be replaced before winter as well. I will also need to replace the blower motor resistor now as well. UGGGGHHHH! I can't win sometimes.

Here is a list of parts:

Front Rotors

Rear Rotors

Rear Brake Pads

Rear Springs

Rear Shocks

Thermostat

Blower Motor Control Module

Drivers side rear passenger window motor assembly unit

Passenger side rear passenger window motor assembly unit

Tire size: 245/65R/17 need 4

My other question is what will I need in terms of parts for replacing the air bags on the suspension? I will need the Z71springs and what else?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! It was my invitation you got.

Can't go into a long explanation right now, but the bad thermostat can ruin your catalytic converter and cost you real $$ in fuel economy, so do that before things like window regulators.

Z71 springs can be had cheaply. Cheaper than the replacements sold by Arnott. Search for the part number here and buy them on Ebay for under $100 a pair, shipped.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
PM me your address, I have a set of stock rear springs that you are welcome to. Replacement is simple and you can do it yourself in the driveway, no need to spend any money.

TheBigKahuna

Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Regulator said:
PM me your address, I have a set of stock rear springs that you are welcome to. Replacement is simple and you can do it yourself in the driveway, no need to spend any money.

Well I have some tools but will I need spacers or anything like that? I'm mechanically inclined but on a 10th grade level...lol. Everything I've pretty much done I've learned from the site over time. Like the thermostat I'm looking at replacing. I did see there was two ways to do it but I have to go look at it and see what way will work best for me. I'm going to have to replace it soon cuz it keeps kicking the ses light on and off and I don't need anymore headaches. I'm going to get the thermostat this weekend and I'm going to have my son (who's 11) help his dad work on it. I just need to figure out which way to do it. Now you said that I could switch the springs off in the driveway correct. I do have a two ton jack but nothing else to support the back end of the vehicle. What am I missing here cuz it's late at night and my brain is off...lol.

TheBigKahuna

Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
the roadie said:
Welcome! It was my invitation you got.

Can't go into a long explanation right now, but the bad thermostat can ruin your catalytic converter and cost you real $$ in fuel economy, so do that before things like window regulators.

Z71 springs can be had cheaply. Cheaper than the replacements sold by Arnott. Search for the part number here and buy them on Ebay for under $100 a pair, shipped.

I did see a drop in my gas mileage. I'm going to get the sensor this weekend and slap it in one of two ways. I've read enough reviews on the thermostat issues and I agree with what you said. The windows are the least of my concerns as they've been that way for over 7 months. I figure if I get a christmas bonus this year i can get them with that. My main concern are the getting the main functions squared away with. I do believe I will go with regulators offer and use the stock ones for now. I just need to know what additional parts I will need to make the switch on them. I get nervous about doing those kind of things myself but I will succeed!

TheBigKahuna

Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
TheBigKahuna said:
Hey Folks. My name is Tim (hertzog27-other site) and I am asking for suggestions and help to keep my 02 GMC Envoy running on the road. It is the only vehicle I have and I am a single father with two children and yes I do work a full time job but the costs of everything lately far exceeds my paycheck and my credit is recovering from divorce and bankruptcy and I cannot afford vehicle payments nor obtain a vehicle loan (already tried) and I can barely cover everything because lately I've been taking out money for other bill payments to pay for parts on the envoy. I have done some of the repairs myself via this website and I am so thankful to you guys that post the "How to do" and make it simple for some of us to understand with the pics. If anyone has any suggestions or spare parts they are not using that are in good condition or even spare parts for sale I am open to all suggestions or ideas. If you don't have any spare parts and would like to make a donation instead you can donate at my GOFUNDME page at:

My vehicle needs some repair work to keep me and my family going! by Tim H - GoFundMe

My Envoy is getting up there in Mileage (115324) and it still is in good condition minus the normal wear and tear stuff. I will post what is all needed for the vehicle. All of the repairs will be done through Hildebrand Motor Company in Allensville, PA. 717-483-6606 Torry Hildebrand is the owner and does the work on my vehicle and has worked on the envoy for a while now. He's a very good mechanic- He's Honest and he knows his vehicles! Very reliable! All work bills will be posted on my Gofundme site.

Here are the damages:

The factory air suspension on the vehicle is shot and I had to rig the air suspension (thanks envoy members for the $5.00 brass T idea) so that I can fill the air shocks manually or else the back end will drag. The air shock bags are starting to crack and will need to be replaced with normal struts/shocks and springs (some on here suggested to go with the Z71 springs). Both rear window motor assembly units need to be replaced on the rear passenger door and rear driver side door. I have the passenger rear window closed with a clamp to keep the window up and disconnected the power supply for now. The front shocks need to be replaced. I will need new front and rear rotors and rear brake pads. The thermostat will need to be replaced as the SES light indicated code PO128. The tires will also need to be replaced before winter as well. I will also need to replace the blower motor resistor now as well. UGGGGHHHH! I can't win sometimes.

Here is a list of parts:

Front Rotors

Rear Rotors

Rear Brake Pads

Rear Springs

Rear Shocks

Thermostat

Blower Motor Control Module

Drivers side rear passenger window motor assembly unit

Passenger side rear passenger window motor assembly unit

Tire size: 245/65R/17 need 4

My other question is what will I need in terms of parts for replacing the air bags on the suspension? I will need the Z71springs and what else?

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

UPDATE:
I did manage to get front and rear brake pads so that's two things off of the list!:thumbsup:

Much love and appreciation and thanks to Regulator for the rear springs!

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
TheBigKahuna said:
Well I have some tools but will I need spacers or anything like that? I'm mechanically inclined but on a 10th grade level...lol. Everything I've pretty much done I've learned from the site over time. Like the thermostat I'm looking at replacing. I did see there was two ways to do it but I have to go look at it and see what way will work best for me. I'm going to have to replace it soon cuz it keeps kicking the ses light on and off and I don't need anymore headaches. I'm going to get the thermostat this weekend and I'm going to have my son (who's 11) help his dad work on it. I just need to figure out which way to do it. Now you said that I could switch the springs off in the driveway correct. I do have a two ton jack but nothing else to support the back end of the vehicle. What am I missing here cuz it's late at night and my brain is off...lol.

It would certainly help if you have someone in the area that has some tools and mechanical knowledge, but I am confident that I can talk you through it when the time comes. As far as tools go, a basic socket set, pry bar/crow bar, a floor jack, and a pair of jack stands are all you need. Make the 45 minute trip to Harbor Freight in Hollidaysburg and pick up a set of jack stands for 20 or 30 bucks. You may find them about the same price at walmart as well.

Don't hesitate to call or text, I am always more then happy to answer questions and talk folks through the work. There is absolutely no need to spend hard earned money at a mechanic for something as easy as this repair can be. Good luck, and you know how to get a hold of me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online