Has anyone replaced Envoy SLT steering wheel with a Denali wood wheel?

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Just a curious question to ask here....has any member here who owns a Envoy XL or Envoy standard wheel base ever swap their all leather steering wheel for the Ebony woodgrain Denali wheel? Found a few on ebay surprisingly . Thinkin of picking one up soon. Any drawbacks when swapping or anything different fron the all leather wheel and the wood wheel?

floridafitz

Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
About a year ago swapped my well-worn stock wheel for an aftermarket wheel with Denali-like wood that was a great match with my simulated wood accents. Bought it on an eBay special for about $100 with no core charge.....best deal I found after looking around. Really happy with the new look....check out my avatar. It's a bit tedious but doable. Only special tool I purchased was a wheel puller. There are several tutorials available online to help you through. I would definitely do it again.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I have the Denali wheel and I wish it was all leather, the wood grain part is slippery and a bit of a PITA when turning into or backing out of places, the palm of my hand slips off the wheel easily. Shouldn't be too hard to swap them.

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks guys. My wife thinks Im a nut case for swapping the steering wheel .but she just doesnt understand lol. my insanity came with the territory when she married me. Hoping to order it next week and have my friend swap em for me. He says u dont have to unkook the battery for the airbag. He used to be a chevy tech. Guess i can trust him :confused: hahah

mnypitTBEXT

Jan 29, 2012
Swapping it is very easy. I just put an SS wheel in my LT and it took all of about 30 minutes and that was only because I unhooked the battery and let it sit 20 minutes to kill the airbag memory before I tried taking it out. It is as easy as inserting 2 blunt thin objects in either side to remove the airbag, unplug 3 plugs, and remove the nut in the middle. They call for a removal tool, but I was able to wiggle and pull and it broke loose. Leave the nut on the end incase it comes off violently. The nut will keep it from hitting you. It could knock you out. I have hit myself in the chin in the past and trust me, it is not fun.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Rainiers later than 2004 also have the wood steering wheel while our 9-7 has a slightly different all leather version than the rest of the platform. I love the look of the wood in the Rainier but I agree depending on which gloves I have on, the wood is slick and the leather is always nice and grippy. Regardless, I'd take the far less common wood wheel if I was replacing like the OP. I think it'd be a nice mod.

floridafitz

Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
There is absolutely no way I would risk an accidental air bag deployment when changing out the wheel, regardless how skilled the mechanic. Disconnecting the battery is a no brainer. Good luck.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I thought I remember someone installing a heated wood steering wheel, Anyone have info on that?

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Also, for us wood-wheel-whiners, you can go to any auto parts store and get a steering wheel cover. You can even get one that looks like wood and save some time and money...lol.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Denali n DOO said:
I have the Denali wheel and I wish it was all leather, the wood grain part is slippery and a bit of a PITA when turning into or backing out of places, the palm of my hand slips off the wheel easily. Shouldn't be too hard to swap them.

Funny but,when I took my Denali for a test drive the first thing I noticed was how rich and different the wheel felt.After years of plastic textured wheels I still enjoiy the old school feel of it.It's one of those "you either like it or you don't things":yes:Mike.
ps DOO.. I'm going to ship you one of those "Low Rider chrome welded chain"steering wheels for added glove traction:rotfl:

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
I saw a 2008 Envoy Denali that was open at a Caddy dealer local to me. When I saw how the wood steering wheel looked in the truck that made my mind up for me. Im purchasing it this thursday. As for the airbag issue, im def unhooking the battery before and swap over.

Always wanted a truck with a wood grain wheel since i saw the first 2002 Escalade. Nows my chance to realize a rather awkward dream lmao :crazy:

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Sounds like it could be a nice mod..pity it wasnt that easy to add a selectable DIC lol

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
05EnvoyXL said:
I saw a 2008 Envoy Denali that was open at a Caddy dealer local to me. When I saw how the wood steering wheel looked in the truck that made my mind up for me. Im purchasing it this thursday. :

What?..the Denali or the wheel:biggrin:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Isn't the Denali/Rainier wood wheel just the pre 2007 Escalade wheel?

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
looks like the 2005-06 Escalade wheel is exactly the same as the Rainier/Denali wheel. I just ordered the wheel tonight. Pretty excited bout installing it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online