Hardwired GPS Connection?

CdnGMan

Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
Ok, so in trying to pick a spot on the dash where I actually like the location of the GPS has been a bit of a challenge, but I think I've come to settle on the left hand side of the dash near the pillar... now I figure that I can simply run the power wire for the GPS behind the dash bezel - the one you take off when you change the radio, etc - but I'm still left with the power cord sticking out from the lighter socket... (see pic below)...

View attachment 19654

Is it possible to tie it in / hardware that power cord into the lighter circuit in the back?

Now, here's the thing... the power cord has an "antenna" in it that's used for traffic...
Will that be impacted at all?? Anyone know? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_2018.jpg
    IMG_2018.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 21

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Thas what mine looks like. I am gonna have regulator mine for me. He doesn't know it yet. Lol. I put the actual gps in front of the tach. Looks pretty good.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Find an ignition fuse in the rear box and run a hot wire from that using an add a line fuse. Add a separate cigarette plug in to that and tuck away nicely behind the dash.

Is that doesn't make sense I can explain better in a few hours when I am in front of my laptop with pictures available to post.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

CdnGMan

Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
I'd appreciate the pics... as someone who's not remotely close to being electrically inclined, all the help is needed! :smile:
If I understand what you're saying, I should run power / ground from 2 separate areas... is that correct?

Iahawkeye

Jan 24, 2012
I keep mine next To the rear view mirror. I bought a 10 foot long mini USB cable from monoprice.com (if you ever need anything for audiovisual cable, these guys are the only way to go...good stuff, cheap!!!) I think the cable was under $2 and the cigarette light adapter was about the same. I ran the cable behind the glove box, up the pillar, and inside the headliner. Perfect length for all of that with just enough to anchor the end around the rear view mirror post.

Anyways, I lost the traffic antenna, but the cable is out of the way, and the gps unit is in an easy spot to see, without obstructing any sort of view. I know that this is not what ou might be specifically asking for, but this might be useful in case you try something different.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Greg,

Add it to your "make Stef Slave List". It's a 10 minute setup. It'll cost about 8 bucks in extra parts (ciggy plug).

I can do it when you come visit.

I've done it on mine. :thumbsup:

CdnGMan

Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
harmless said:
Greg,

Add it to your "make Stef Slave List". It's a 10 minute setup. It'll cost about 8 bucks in extra parts (ciggy plug).

I can do it when you come visit.

I've done it on mine. :thumbsup:

I was hoping you'd chime in on this!! :tongue:

Now, any idea if hard wiring it in will impact the built-in traffic antenna at all?

Dec 4, 2011
Guys how about some pics of where the units are mounted. For awhile now I have wanted combo GPS/Backup camera for the Voy. Don't really want the unit sitting on the dash above the center cluster (this is where the current unit goes on trips). Also I have been reading about some aftermarket units to replace the dash Radio/CD/whatever unit. I would like to keep the XMand steering wheel controls but don't need the CD anymore, any recommendations for an old handy guy.

Please some pics :yes: :yes:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Wiring Simplified You can tell my N key is crapping out on my keyboard hahah you get the damn point
View attachment 19665

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 7

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
CdnGMan said:
I was hoping you'd chime in on this!! :tongue:

Now, any idea if hard wiring it in will impact the built-in traffic antenna at all?

Why would giving it a dedicated power source affect the antenna?!

You're over-thinking this my friend. Leave the electronic stuff to me. You just make sure we don't run out of cold drinks. :raspberry:

CdnGMan

Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
harmless said:
Why would giving it a dedicated power source affect the antenna?!

Well, it goes like this Oh Learned One...
I was under the impression that since the antenna isn't a standard whip type, that it might be finicky in regards to its power requirements... :confused:

harmless said:
You're over-thinking this my friend. Leave the electronic stuff to me. You just make sure we don't run out of cold drinks. :raspberry:

I suspect you're right... old habits die hard...
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think I know how you're planning on tackling this...

I'll just keep my mouth shut and ensure that you're properly hydrated during the process... :thumbsup:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
CdnGMan said:
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think I know how you're planning on tackling this...

I thought my diagram was on the roadie approval level, thought for sure you would get it :rotfl:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
OK, here are some pictures and a simple how to. It is essentially the same thing as the diagram, just no smiley stick figure! :raspberry:

Use an add-a-fuse like shown here:
2012-03-18192309.jpg

Splice a wire into it, I used 16 gauge speaker wire, and plug it into fuse number 29 (Rain sense) in the rear fuse block. I used the existing 10amp fuse from that location and added another 10 amp fuse into the plug.
2012-03-18192336.jpg

I used the other portion of the speaker wire for the ground, you can add a U terminal to the end of the wire and tuck it under one of the mount bolts for the fuse box.
2012-03-18192348.jpg

Run the wire under the molding on the floor / door edge and up into the knee bolster under the steering wheel. Add a cigarette outlet plug to this wire. We bought a three outlet multi plug that we cut the male end off and wired it into the new wire. FYI if you go this route open up the plug to see what wire is on the center post, that is the positive line.
2012-03-18193023.jpg

The plug will fit behind this panel along with plugs for whatever you are plugging in behind there. Tuck in all the wires behind the panels and put your truck back together.

What your GPS does is entirely dependent on the GPS. In my Envoy when I turn the truck off the GPS remains on but only on its own battery power. In my wife's Bravada the GPS automatically shuts down automatically.

Jimbo052

Feb 29, 2012
Regulator said:
The plug will fit behind this panel along with plugs for whatever you are plugging in behind there. Tuck in all the wires behind the panels and put your truck back together.

I would suggest securing the plugs into the sockets in some way. I did this same thing on my Buick Century but after a year, the plug worked its way out of the socket and I had to tear the dash apart again to get the satellite radio going again.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Jimbo052 said:
I would suggest securing the plugs into the sockets in some way. I did this same thing on my Buick Century but after a year, the plug worked its way out of the socket and I had to tear the dash apart again to get the satellite radio going again.

Your right, mine are all taped into the outlets. I failed to think about this, and had Jeff put his dash together while I tended to a grill fire (the wife's got tired of waiting and tried to put the burgers on the grill) and now he has to tear it back apart because it has come loose already. oops.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
I gots me a better and cleaner way to do that - and I don't have to run wires from the back of the truck to get it done.

The only wire you see in harmless is zip tied to the rear view mirror's onstar wire.

Clean, compact, effective. :thumbsup:

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
harmless said:
... Leave the electronic stuff to me. You just make sure we don't run out of cold drinks. :raspberry:

Ummm, is this a group offer? Or can I just hang out for the drinks...:rotfl: :wootwoot:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
06Envoy said:
Ummm, is this a group offer? Or can I just hang out for the drinks...:rotfl: :wootwoot:

Harmless is always drunk when he works on trucks this explains his Rudolph nose on the ss....beer might be long gone by the time you get there

Never going to let that one go :rotfl:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
silvernclean said:
Let's see it. Write up.

I will - as soon as I get another truck to do it on and someone to take pics (cause I'm not talented enough to do both)! Imma not in the mood to take my setup apart just to redo it! :raspberry:

06Envoy said:

:rotfl: I guess you can come too. I'll have a bag of cookies waiting for you. :raspberry:

STLtrailbSS said:
Harmless is always drunk when he works on trucks this explains his Rudolph nose on the ss....beer might be long gone by the time you get there

Never going to let that one go :rotfl:

Actually, I don't really drink... :redface:

But you're just hatin' cause I had the fastest reindeer on the road. :biggrin:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
harmless said:
But you're just hatin' cause I had the fastest reindeer on the road. :biggrin:
Santa wishes he was man enough to ride LS2 :thumbsup:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
Santa wishes he was man enough to ride LS2 :thumbsup:

I wouldn't let him in again. I cleaned cookie crumbs out for weeks after just one test ride.

I love what the guy does, but he's gotta respect the harmless - no eating in the TBSS! :lipsrsealed:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online