Hard to Start after fueling

Delor

Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
The last few weeks, I have noticed that my 2004 Envoy XUV has had difficulting starting after getting gas. This is the ONLY time it has issues starting and has been consistant. I usually run the tank down to less than 1/4th, then fill 'er up. After putting the gas cap back on, I have to crank it several times to get it to start. It has always started (so far, knock on wood!), but I worry it will leave me or my wife sitting at the pump one day. I replaced the fuel filter last year, so I don't think it is that.

Thoughts? Again, it is only after getting gas that this happens.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
It was discussed alot on the OS, I have had the issue ever since owning the truck. I live with it, not a huge deal and it always start on the second go.

What I have read is that it is the EVAP purge valve control solenoid, or the EVAP vent/control solenoid.

Both parts appear to be easy to replace and cost under $65 shipped.

Once again I have lived with this issue since Oct 2007. It has never not started for me, except when the battery finally gave out.

Delor

Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Thanks for the reply. The part that is confusing is that this is new problem. I never had any issues until after I had fan clutch and water pump replaced. Could that have done something?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I would not think so. It would be hard to start all the time if it was an issue with something replaced. Mine started randomly too, I think it might have been the 2nd or 3rd time I filled up after buying the truck. The problem has stuck around and I have lived with it.

I have tried different things to see if the alleviate the issue temporarily. I have tried turning the key to on- not start, let it sit there for about 10-15 seconds. Turn off and then start. I have also tried turning the key to on, holding the gas peddle down for about 5 seconds then turning it off, and then starting. I also have the same issue you do, with it sputtering and shutting off when you leave it running while fueling.

I would dig deeper into the EVAP system. I has never been a major concern to me so I havent fixed it.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Delor said:
..... I never had any issues until after I had fan clutch and water pump replaced. Could that have done something?
Unless something got disconnected during the fan clutch/water pump job, they have NOTHING to do with the engine starting.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Mikie said:
Bad BP gas.

Bad Joke???

I can say that the truck does not discriminate against brand, time of day, humidity, temperature, or state of the economy. I can however say that it has nothing to do with the mechanics of the engine or drive train. This is a known problem on earlier models, the solution is always the same. The OS has long discussions about it and the solution.

Mikie

Dec 5, 2011
I am not kidding, the refinery in Whiting, Indiana dumped a load of bad gas on northern Indiana and thousands of cars are exhibiting the same symptoms. Plus the op is in Indiana.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Wow I have not looked at the news in a while, not surprising I am sure it happens sometimes, this time it was just found a little to late.

First thing I though was, man people are still poed at freaking BP about the Deepwater Horizon. I apologize.

However I do not think this problem is sourced from the fuel itself. As this issue goes back a few years, and like I said my truck has done this since about a month after I bought it.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
blazinlow89 said:
However I do not think this problem is sourced from the fuel itself. As this issue goes back a few years, and like I said my truck has done this since about a month after I bought it.
Am I missing something? You're not the OP. You're not in Indiana. The fuel as a possible diagnosis wasn't directed at your specific problem. :confused:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
the roadie said:
Am I missing something? You're not the OP. You're not in Indiana. The fuel as a possible diagnosis wasn't directed at your specific problem. :confused:

Roadie I have a huge respect for you, in this issue I do not believe it is the fuel itself. It is a fuel system problem. The issue described by the op is not indicative of bad gas. I have had the same issue for as long as I have owned my truck, through what I have read in the past it is with the EVAP system. I would agree 100% with bad fuel if the truck had a hard time starting everytime it was driven, not to mention the other issues involved with bad fuel such as sputtering and stalling. The op says it is only aftor fueling.

The time frame to me is just very coincidental.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Just to add fuel (that doesn't burn) to the fire (and further hijack this thread):
There was a story on the 5 o'clock news about bad BP gas in this area, starting on the 20th or 21st of this month, in a four state area including Indiana and Wisconsin.

Mikie

Dec 5, 2011
to finish off the op issue the BP gas had an additive added to it that causes the vehicle to either not run or run rough until operating temp is reached. Repairs are ranging from $300 to $2k depending if the tank needs to be dropped and cleaned or the fuel needs to be siphoned out and replaced.

Edited. The fuel has been on the market for at 3 weeks prior to the issue being confirmed
BP has admitted to the issue and it's cause.

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
It was discussed alot on the OS, I have had the issue ever since owning the truck. I live with it, not a huge deal and it always start on the second go.

What I have read is that it is the EVAP purge valve control solenoid, or the EVAP vent/control solenoid.

Both parts appear to be easy to replace and cost under $65 shipped.

Once again I have lived with this issue since Oct 2007. It has never not started for me, except when the battery finally gave out.

This is the accurate solution to this problem. I had the same thing happen last winter. It's nothing to do with other engine parts like fan clutches or water pumps, or even bad BP gas:wink:.

One part is mounted right near the engine block on the drivers side, the other near the gas tank. Since the purge valve on the engine is easier to do I started with that. They are cheap, less than $40 typically, right now there's one on Amazon for $18. (ACDelco 214-641 Vapor Canister Purge Valve) It's easy enough to replace, however apparently too difficult for me to get my fat hands in between body, springs, vacuum lines, I couldn't get one of the retaining clips off.:mad: So I took it to my local garage and they did it for me.:thumbsup:

Gevans17

Jan 8, 2012
Wishbone said:
This is the accurate solution to this problem. I had the same thing happen last winter. It's nothing to do with other engine parts like fan clutches or water pumps, or even bad BP gas:wink:.

One part is mounted right near the engine block on the drivers side, the other near the gas tank. Since the purge valve on the engine is easier to do I started with that. They are cheap, less than $40 typically, right now there's one on Amazon for $18. (ACDelco 214-641 Vapor Canister Purge Valve) It's easy enough to replace, however apparently too difficult for me to get my fat hands in between body, springs, vacuum lines, I couldn't get one of the retaining clips off.:mad: So I took it to my local garage and they did it for me.:thumbsup:

2004 6 cyl TB was hard to start after refueling for past 2-3 months. Finally got a code for purge solenoid valve. Changed it and no more problems. Anyone know why this is happening?

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
If anyone needs a spare or wants a cheap used purge valve, I have my original which works fine and Id be willing to send to ya for $5 plus shipping... Not a rip off either, ppl know I am trustworthy on here. Ill negotiate on the $5 too, I just couldn't give it away or the wife would call me an idiot.. :rotfl:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.