Hard starting - hot

schwing1

Original poster
Member
Jan 1, 2013
5
Hi all. Want to say thanks for the site - have saved me tons and now that the title is in my hands, I need to make sure I make this thing last

2006 TB - 4.2l engine 125k miles

It is upwards of 110+ here in Vegas. I had an issue the other day where it cranked, briefly started and stalled. After cranking for about 10 seconds and giving it gas when it seemed to start, reving a little to keep it going - it started and ran somewhat OK. Today I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it out really good, it was really nasty. I did have the neg cable off for about 30 minutes while doing the work. Replaced the air filter at the same time. The sluggishness when the AC was on did seem to subside.

This afternoon I had trouble two of the five times I started it. Not quite sure the issue. Last time the ignition switch went out, it acted like this prior so I am heading that way.

More history
- Fuel pump (thanks to the gauge) was replaced 30k ago
- fan clutch & thermostat replaced 20k ago
- 3/4 tank of fuel currently
- Fuel purge valve and solenoid replaced 5k ago
- New gas cap about 3k ago, aftermarket

I did have a check engine code last week, indicated the evap system. I loosened and tightened the gas cap, went away after two days.

Any suggestions? My check engine light is currently off and has been for 3-4 days. I am nervous to drive it as I do not want it to stall in 110+ temps. I am pretty much going to drive my other car until I figure it out.

Thanks!
 

triz

Member
Apr 22, 2013
746
You might want to try and clean your MAF sensor. Also how old is your coolant. I assume not that old since you did your thermostat.

Try a bottle of Amsoil Coolant Boost. Its designed to keep your coolant temps cooler and help burp the coolant system.(seeing the hot temps you get) Some PI Performance Improver might not also be a bad idea.
 

dfc739

Member
Jul 29, 2012
170
Des Moines, IA
triz said:
You might want to try and clean your MAF sensor. Also how old is your coolant. I assume not that old since you did your thermostat.

Try a bottle of Amsoil Coolant Boost. Its designed to keep your coolant temps cooler and help burp the coolant system.(seeing the hot temps you get) Some PI Performance Improver might not also be a bad idea.

I agree about the MAF. This sounds like textbook dirty or bad mass air flow sensor. Get a can of MAF sensor cleaner and clean it. Do you have a scan tool that will provide a continuous readout of data? If so, check the MAF reading.
 

schwing1

Original poster
Member
Jan 1, 2013
5
I'll give the MAF a cleaning this weekend. I have not received any engine codes past the EVAP code a few weeks ago but my neighbor has a code reader that I'll try to borrow and get the readings.
 

schwing1

Original poster
Member
Jan 1, 2013
5
schwing1 said:
I'll give the MAF a cleaning this weekend. I have not received any engine codes past the EVAP code a few weeks ago but my neighbor has a code reader that I'll try to borrow and get the readings.

Well, cleaned out the MAF sensor and also had another issue I noticed when looking it over. The coolant was bubbling in the overflow tank. This thing is one problem after another :hissyfit: the radiator cap was OE and did not look the best around the seal so I replaced that while I was at it. It was running great and it seemed the starting issue went away. But yesterday it was difficult to start right after fueling up and then it died pulling into the carwash. After I got it started no further issues. I have taken it out and driven it today, it started fine every time today.

My check engine light has not gone off since I had the gap issue a few weeks ago and my AC Delco gas cap will be here Tuesday. I am a little stumped about the occasional hard starting while it is hot outside and the engine is warm. I get no codes and it only does it once in a while.

My neighbor is not around this weekend so borrowing his code reader is not an option yet.
 

Irishboy02

Member
Apr 1, 2012
222
When you are starting your vehicle, is your AC still in the on position while your vehicle is off? If so, turn it off - that causes alot of power to try and crank from a dead stop when the clutches are engaged.

Secondly, while driving do you notice any voltage drops or irratic readings? How old is your battery? If you are experiencing temps that high you should check that it is properly holding its charge, autozone will walk with you to the parking lot and check your batt and alt at the same time.

Do you have hard driving habits? When you get to your destination, turn your ac off and allow your truck to idle for a minute before turning off your vehicle, this will help with your cooldown period.
 

schwing1

Original poster
Member
Jan 1, 2013
5
Irishboy02 said:
When you are starting your vehicle, is your AC still in the on position while your vehicle is off? If so, turn it off - that causes alot of power to try and crank from a dead stop when the clutches are engaged.

Secondly, while driving do you notice any voltage drops or irratic readings? How old is your battery? If you are experiencing temps that high you should check that it is properly holding its charge, autozone will walk with you to the parking lot and check your batt and alt at the same time.

Do you have hard driving habits? When you get to your destination, turn your ac off and allow your truck to idle for a minute before turning off your vehicle, this will help with your cooldown period.

Thanks for the response. Generally I turn off the AC a couple blocks from my destination. I found that by doing that, it seemed to cool down quicker the next time I drove (may just me my imagination though). I have not noticed any odd drops in voltage and my battery is about 5 months old. I will try letting it idle for a few minutes before shutting down.

Fortunately it is not a constant issue but it is a little concerning.
 

triz

Member
Apr 22, 2013
746
schwing1 said:
Well, cleaned out the MAF sensor and also had another issue I noticed when looking it over. The coolant was bubbling in the overflow tank. This thing is one problem after another :hissyfit: the radiator cap was OE and did not look the best around the seal so I replaced that while I was at it. It was running great and it seemed the starting issue went away. But yesterday it was difficult to start right after fueling up and then it died pulling into the carwash. After I got it started no further issues. I have taken it out and driven it today, it started fine every time today.

My check engine light has not gone off since I had the gap issue a few weeks ago and my AC Delco gas cap will be here Tuesday. I am a little stumped about the occasional hard starting while it is hot outside and the engine is warm. I get no codes and it only does it once in a while.

My neighbor is not around this weekend so borrowing his code reader is not an option yet.

That narrows it down a bit. You need to do a leak down test. Something is going on with your cooling system. It can be as minor as getting a radiator cap, stuck thermostat, air in the system or it can be bad. Headgasket, cracked head.

Get the leakdown test. Get an oil sample. Check your spark plugs. The ceramic part of the SP will tell you if its burning coolant. I would do the leakdown test first. Got my fingers crossed for you. If all is well with with the major bits. I really would recommend getting the Amsoil Coolant Boost and burping the system again. But lets get it sorted first and eliminate any minor or major issues.

I don't think I asked before but how is your coolant level? When you replaced the coolant how much did put back in and did you use the correct coolant?
 
Dec 13, 2013
1,490
Osceola,Ia
So i know this is an older thread.. but just wondering if the op found an issue to the problem.. Im having the same issue, upon cold starts up just fine... but once the motor is warm you have to flutter the throttle to get it to start, and it takes quite a few times of cranking to get it to actually start. once started it runs great, only issue is starting after motor is warmed up. thermostat and throttle body cleaned within 2k, new plugs within 50 miles.. It didnt start doing this untill after I replaced t stat, and had the battery disconnected, so im assuming its a sensor somewhere just not for sure where to start..
 

schwing1

Original poster
Member
Jan 1, 2013
5
Midnyteryder02 said:
So i know this is an older thread.. but just wondering if the op found an issue to the problem.. Im having the same issue, upon cold starts up just fine... but once the motor is warm you have to flutter the throttle to get it to start, and it takes quite a few times of cranking to get it to actually start. once started it runs great, only issue is starting after motor is warmed up. thermostat and throttle body cleaned within 2k, new plugs within 50 miles.. It didnt start doing this untill after I replaced t stat, and had the battery disconnected, so im assuming its a sensor somewhere just not for sure where to start..

Sorry - I forgot to get back in here and report the problem solved. Turns out the Canister Purge Solenoid was bad. It finally threw a code (can't remember the exact one) and I pulled it off, sure enough - could blow right threw it. Took it back to the parts store where they warrantied it without any issues. Never had the problem again.
 
Dec 13, 2013
1,490
Osceola,Ia
schwing1 said:
Sorry - I forgot to get back in here and report the problem solved. Turns out the Canister Purge Solenoid was bad. It finally threw a code (can't remember the exact one) and I pulled it off, sure enough - could blow right threw it. Took it back to the parts store where they warrantied it without any issues. Never had the problem again.

Good to know.. I actually just bought the purge solenoid last week. Gonna wait til it gets warmer to replace though. Thanks for replying back though :thumbup:
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,234
Posts
637,113
Members
18,398
Latest member
DR.B

Members Online