Groaning in 4 high

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Hi Everyone,

I have noticed a groaning noise when I am in 4 wheel high. It only occurs in 4 high, if I switch it to Auto or 2 wheel the noise stops. I haven't tried it in 4 low. I know there are a lot of 4 wheel drive issues with the platform and it has me concerned. I don't notice anything other than the groaning noise. It reminds me of the noise if you are driving with the e brake on.

I don't use the 4 wheel drive very often. The last week there has been some snow and slick roads so I have used Auto quite a bit. One of two times I have put it in 4 high and heard the noise. It's a 2007 LT with the I6. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, or input are greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for the time and have a great weekend!

Respectfully,
George D.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
My 07 has always had a slight gear whine noise when in 4wh. It's barely perceivable and I've come to the conclusion that it's normal transfer case noise. It's at 115Kmi with no change, so I'm not worried.
If your noise is different from what I've described, one thing that I know can cause a noise in 4wd is having unmatched tire sizes but, with ABS you might see other problems if that were your case....Mike.

Last edited:

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Thanks for the reply, Northcreek. My tires are a matched set and the few times I had used 4 high, I didn't notice this noise. Plus it's more than barely perceivable.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe put all 4 wheels in the air on stands and and engage 4hi. Maybe the noise will manifest itself and you can pinpoint it.

Reactions: Reprise

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Does it sound anything like in this video of my TC seven years ago?.
In this case it was a bearing in the TC that was bad, replaced it with a almost new one(5400km)and it was completley quiet. So, if the TC is perfect it would be absolutley quiet, i hear no difference in sound with 2hi or 4hi in mine, even today seven years later.

Edit:
Later on it started to make the same noise but much much weaker even in 2hi, thats when i put in the new one.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Geo: How many kilometers and has the tcase oil been changed per maintenance schedule?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My old 02 would have some whirring noise in 4HI after driving it for a little while. Rarely did for any length of time but there were a few times on my way to or from work one winter that the roads were totally snow/ice covered crap.

smt 59

While checking everything noted above, crawl underneath the passenger side front and check for play in the CV shaft and or Disconnect unit. This will definitely cause the noise you describe. The disconnect is a common thing that fails on these and is usually the last thing that people check or sometimes even know about. It bolts on the side of the front differential. Let us know what you find.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175