Good Battery, Failure to start

Regulator

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I am stumped. As some may know already my Tranny decided to give up 4 weeks ago, since then the Envoy has sat in the driveway while I wait for some decent weather and the money to swap in my spare transmission. I am now ready to do the work, however as I expected the battery was dead and the truck would not start. The battery spent a bit of time on the charger and is now at full capacity. The truck is still not turning over. I get the gauge cluster to power up, but that is all. It does not make any attempt to crank over, I have no interior lights, no power windows or locks. I pulled the battery out this afternoon and took it down to Advance Auto and had it tested and it tested great. The battery is less then 6 months old and is a Sears DiHard Platinum.

Any ideas, I am completely stumped?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Whip out your voltmeter and start poking about. No interior lights or windows usually means a dead megafuse, but the engine will start and run just fine without a good megafuse.

Neutral/Park interlock switch might be an issue.

Do your brake lights work, even with the key out? They should. James Downing just had an issue with a dead battery that had enough voltage to show 12V on his meter, but collapsed with asked to do anything when the key was on. A huge clue was the brake lights were dead.

Regulator

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Well it all works correctly now. :undecided:

As I said in my original post, I took the battery in to get tested yesterday to rule it out. Everything looked good on the test and it passed. The only thing that concerned me was the test showed the battery was at 48*. I decided to leave the battery in the house last night and let it warm up and install it today. got it back into the truck, positive hooked up and as soon as I made contact with the negative the alarm started going off. Scared the sh*t out of me. :redface: I went ahead and tried to start it and in fired right up.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
That sounds like a dirty/bad connection. Either the battery ground cable, or the pos cable.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online