Golf

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Anyone play, want to play, toying with the idea of taking up the game?

I started 5 years ago, when I moved to the US and got sucked in. Unfortunately with winter coming on in the northern states, we have a forced 6 month lay off...wish I lived further south!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Played some in college. Usually we played a beer per hole for the front nine and just struggled through the back nine

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
I stopped drinking when I play...for the most part, because I want to get better. But that means I have to catch up at the 19th!

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I have played for about 15 years now, and have a 250 yard drive. Unfortunately it is 200 out and 50 to the left. :hissyfit:

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Regulator said:
I have played for about 15 years now, and have a 250 yard drive. Unfortunately it is 200 out and 50 to the left. :hissyfit:

I got you by 50, mine goes 100 yards left! :rotfl:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I took it up in high school for something to do during hockey off season. Its challenging and down right annoying sometime lol. Course can get pricey a decent course here will run around $50 but there's always more options especially for beginners there no need to go play expensive courses in the begining because they are usually a big step up on difficulty then the cheaper flater courses. Find somebody with a set of clubs to borrow or some courses have rentals, just hit the driving range and the practice green before hand. GO FOR IT!

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Matt said:
Anyone play, want to play, toying with the idea of taking up the game?

I started 5 years ago, when I moved to the US and got sucked in. Unfortunately with winter coming on in the northern states, we have a forced 6 month lay off...wish I lived further south!

We play disc golf all year :raspberry: You need to dress for the weather or freeze your :lipsrsealed: off.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Short Bus said:
We play disc golf all year :raspberry: You need to dress for the weather or freeze your :lipsrsealed: off.

I'll stay inside and drink pie!!

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
I took it up in high school for something to do during hockey off season. Its challenging and down right annoying sometime lol. Course can get pricey a decent course here will run around $50 but there's always more options especially for beginners there no need to go play expensive courses in the begining because they are usually a big step up on difficulty then the cheaper flater courses. Find somebody with a set of clubs to borrow or some courses have rentals, just hit the driving range and the practice green before hand. GO FOR IT!

A mate and I played every Friday this season and I think the most expensive course we played was $35 and that was a good course. There are more expensive ones around, but with a part time job ATM, I'll take cheap and cheerful. Next year though, he say's we can get on Firestone South...we'll see.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
I've played for years, and still can't play.........................I suck.

But, every game I hit one good shot (or have one good hole) that makes me keep coming back.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I played in high school, and sparingly in college, then got away from it for a long time. Found some guys at work who used to play once a month, and I tried to pick it up again but somehow I just couldn't get the touch back with the woods. :hopeless:

rjpoog1989

Dec 4, 2011
I try to play as much as possible. I'm actually going to school for PGA Golf Management and Turfgrass Science. The season is over in PA and the next time I play I'll be in Scotland in March playing the Old Course @ St Andrews!:wootwoot::raspberry:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Im sure Josh would love to join you... He's startin to pick the game up lol...

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
rjpoog1989 said:
I try to play as much as possible. I'm actually going to school for PGA Golf Management and Turfgrass Science. The season is over in PA and the next time I play I'll be in Scotland in March playing the Old Course @ St Andrews!:wootwoot::raspberry:

You sir, are officially on my shit list! :crackup:

You lucky bastard, I'm seriously jealous. Have a great time.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Boricua SS said:
Im sure Josh would love to join you... He's startin to pick the game up lol...

He told me he was starting. I'll definitely get out with him next season.

rjpoog1989

Dec 4, 2011
So on Friday I'm leaving for Scotland:raspberry:
We're playing 5 rounds of golf, these are to include: The Old Course and Jubilee Course at St Andrews, Muirfield, and Carnoustie. Hopefully I'll play well, but it's not really about that, it's about the experience! I haven't swung a club in months so I don't expect much. I know I'll be sore when I get back after walking 18 holes 5 days in a row, but totally worth it!

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I went to a driving range once....it didn't go very well :redface: lol

I would be interested in trying it in a little more detail, I guess actually playing a game instead of just beating up a bucket of balls. I usd to play mini golf if that counts..but I sucked at that too lol

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Voymom said:
I would be interested in trying it in a little more detail, I guess actually playing a game instead of just beating up a bucket of balls.
I'd recommend starting at a "pitch and putt". You can rent the clubs (you only need a couple), the holes are short, if you hit a bad shot it doesn't go too far astray. Then move up to the longer courses (and the bigger cuss words, hehe)

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
RayVoy said:
I'd recommend starting at a "pitch and putt". You can rent the clubs (you only need a couple), the holes are short, if you hit a bad shot it doesn't go too far astray. Then move up to the longer courses (and the bigger cuss words, hehe)

:iagree: and add beer. Things may not actually GO any better, but they sure will seem like it!! :dielaugh:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:iagree: and add beer. Things may not actually GO any better, but they sure will seem like it!! :dielaugh:
Hey Carlton, I like the way you think, the next time I'm in Florida, we need to play

BTW, the beer with lime juice is a great drink for golf (a little vitamin "C")

I hope they never add Gatorade to it

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: Gonna have to start hitting the range then. Lost all my golf buddies years ago, and since buying my TB, haven't touched my clubs in years. The result would not be pretty I'm sure :ugh:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Haha, no problem, the golf was only an excuse to drink lime beer anyway (not that I need an excuse :lipsrsealed: )

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Blckshdw said:
I played in high school, and sparingly in college, then got away from it for a long time. Found some guys at work who used to play once a month, and I tried to pick it up again but somehow I just couldn't get the touch back with the woods. :hopeless:

Similar experience here. Did have a strong shot in high school but it was accurate. Hardly touched any clubs in college and the first time I tried after college I stank. Have never recovered. If I hit Tue range and course some more I'm sure I'd improve.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
rjpoog1989 said:
So on Friday I'm leaving for Scotland:raspberry:
We're playing 5 rounds of golf, these are to include: The Old Course and Jubilee Course at St Andrews, Muirfield, and Carnoustie. Hopefully I'll play well, but it's not really about that, it's about the experience! I haven't swung a club in months so I don't expect much. I know I'll be sore when I get back after walking 18 holes 5 days in a row, but totally worth it!

I hate you right now! Seriously though, have a great time!!

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Matt said:
I hate you right now! Seriously though, have a great time!!

In June I will be on my way to Aruba, and while i'm there i'm gunna play around at Tierra del Sol PGA Championship golf course.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I fuckin love playin golf. Hacker of course. I spend lot$ of $$ on golf.

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
I played a lot in high school. I love it! Havent played so much since I have been at college. All of the courses around here are pretty pricey.

I would love to get playing again! I really miss it! I had a 200yd drive (Almost in a straight line)!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online