Going to be Cleaning the Throttle Body

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
As the title says, I'm planning on cleaning it soon. From what I have read and Searched I'll need to get some, TB cleaner or Carb Cleaner(which do you reccomend) and disconnect the Necative for the relearn?

All I'm doing its making sure I'm on the right path and I'm not gunna scew something up.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I use CRC available almost everywhere and I just disconnect both terminals for a 1/2 hour

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The Master Article GMTNation - How to Clean an 4.2 Inline 6 Throttle Body is clear on the process. Many folks look specifically for a "sensor safe" throttle body cleaning spray because there is a sensor attached to the unit that could possibly get damaged. But most "sensor safe" sprays are designed to be safe for MAF and MAP sensors in the airflow, not a stepper motor position feedback sensor like on our throttle body. So there may be no improvement at all for zero or a low extra cost on the spray.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011

Attachments

• TB23.jpg
    TB23.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 166
  • TB22.jpg
    TB22.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 165

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
He he, I forgot the How-To :duh: :rotfl:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah but then its not going to be all shined up and people won't feel as good I know i wouldnt :biggrin: that's an uphill battle your fighting

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
My guess is that when its in the center your not restricting anything when your edge is pure black your gunking the butterfly and the action is going to be altered....could be some roadie super secret reason but thats my guess.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
No secret technical reason. I just like poking at the OCD population and see if they'll get over it with a little Roadie-tough-love therapy. Even if THEIRS are clean, it sometimes bothers them when they know MINE isn't. :raspberry:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
It's seriously VERY easy, and you will notice a difference if it's horribly dirty, I know I did anyways. The hardest part was cleaning the throttle body itself...that took forever. Use a tooth brush to really get in there. I also used so off brand carb/throttle body cleaner in a red and white can for the job, it was cheap lol.

IMG_20120226_181729.jpg

IMG_20120226_184817.jpg

joe mama

Mar 26, 2012
My '03 with 105,000 just got it's first cleaning - HOLY CRAP BATMAN - what a difference it makes. And it's an easy job to do. Mine looked worse than the picture right above!

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
Wow, those are some dirty TB's..!! I cleaned the TB on my wife's TrailBlazer and it wasn't anywhere NEAR that dirty. In fact it was positively clean given that it was probably getting its first clean ever in 10 years and over 100,000 miles. Consequently, I didn't feel much (if any) improvement when I put it back and too it out for a test drive.

Even my '04 VW 1.8T was only the same level of unclean after 100K, and that thing puts a good amount of oil past the TB plate, courtesy of the air intake coming directly from the turbocharger (not a fault; these cars constantly pass small amounts of oil like this from new).

Rubberman

Dec 14, 2011
Yeah im gonna clean mine this weekend before our Florida trip next week. Easy to do.

Rubberman

Dec 14, 2011
Just did mine yesterday. While I had the battery unplugged, I changed the fuel filter too. Anyway the throttle body wasn't too bad. Just spraying the cleaner washed most of it away and then scrubbed the rest with my wife's toothbrush..... I mean an old toothbrush.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online