gmc sierra exhaust system

79Sierra

Original poster
Oct 19, 2020
US, Los Angeles
I thinking of replacing the exhaust on my 1995 K2500. At least a cat back system. Anyone replaced their's with something that sounds good but is not too loud. Truthfully I was thinking of a header muffler in place of the stock muffler and just a single 3" out. My 1989 Chevy has a hole in the pipe just before the muffler and it sounds real good, not loud either.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I went the other way, as it turns out.

If you lived closer, I'd sell you what I pulled off my '03 1500HD, which was a 2-into-2 Flowmaster (3") with a Y-adapter cutting the outlet down to a single tailpipe. Bought the truck with it installed.

It was more 'deep' than 'loud', but since I use the truck for long-distance towing, and I didn't want to listen to the drone for hours on end, I put a stocker back in its place. Lost a little on the 'butt dyno', but it was worth it for the quiet.

As I look online, it appears they don't cost a ton, so it wouldn't make sense to buy it from me in IL (the shipping costs alone would prolly be $30, out to Cali.) You could get a brand new one for about $75, from what I see. Plus I was holding onto it in case I ever wanted to reconnect it.

The 3" exhaust, which is what you see on the 6.0L and 'HD' gas trucks, is actually considered pretty good, for a factory system. As you probably know, it's a true dual down to the muffler, and at 3" diameter, it's sized just about right. GM did a good job with it. The stock-style muffler is really the only major restriction point. Even the exhaust manifolds aren't bad, when you look at the routing, as 'shorty' headers really don't return much in the way of added power (long tubes are the way to go, if you want that.) Their weight, looks, and susceptibility to cracking are the drawbacks with the stock cast iron pieces. Replacements are cheap (from the pick-n-pull).

My truck's exhaust is made of stainless (?), so it's not prone to rust-thru (plus my truck spent the first half of its life in TX, which helps.) I don't think the earlier-gen pickups had the stainless (you mentioned a hole before your muffler.)

There's a place I found that had a catback for the 6.0L for about $700. I think it might have been a Gibson (?), which doesn't have as many good reviews for SQ as, say, the Borlas & MFs. Those were easily $1000 and up.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Mine has two turbos slid on at the end... it ain't quiet though lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online