GM recalls almost 69,000 SUVs and trucks for roll away risk

Default User

Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
GM recalls almost 69,000 SUVs and trucks for roll away risk - The Globe and Mail

General Motors is recalling nearly 69,000 pickup trucks, SUVs and vans worldwide, including a number in Canada, because they can roll away unexpectedly.

The recall affects certain 2013 models of the Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Avalanche and Express. Also included are the GMC Sierra, Savana and Yukon as well as the Cadillac Escalade.

GM says the vehicles may have been built with faulty park lock cables or malformed steering column lock gears. The vehicles can be shifted out of park even if the ignition key is in the off position or removed. GM says about one in 1,000 of the vehicles has the problem and most haven’t been sold yet.

The company says it knows of no crashes or injuries caused by the problem.

The recall includes almost 55,000 vehicles in the U.S. and another 14,000 in Canada, Mexico and elsewhere in the world.

Dealers will replace the steering column free of charge if necessary.

marce

Jan 6, 2012
Did anybody get letter regarding leaking into driver side window controls causing possible short and fire danger in power window module. I did and took it to get checked out.Service adviser said first he's heard of it.My trailblazer is not leaking from window But after rains my seatbelt is damp so for $96.00 He will get that checked out.The recall repair is free so look for letter in mail.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
the roadie said:

Yes but GM has not given the dealers the info. So we don't what to order for this recall. I REALLY want this info, because I want my switch. On average I check the GM service info posting 2-3 times a day!
This is not the first time this has happened.:mad: Even on a recall far less public. Then we get people showing up with a letter, and we have no answers for them.

EDIT: BTW the Silverado recall is for a failed BTSI. So if you think it fits you. Try shifting out of park with the key off. And also try turning the key off with the truck in gear. IF you can do either..... Congrats you get a new column.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Sorry I denigrated the dealer unfairly. He's a minor goof for not reading the forums and seeing that it's coming, since the owners already know that. GM HQ is the major goof for beginning the awareness campaign with owner letters and totally ignoring the dealer communication channel so they can anticipate owner calls and not look the fool. :crazy:

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
I have no anger to you Roadie. My anger rests completely with GM on this. It's just not this recall. It's every recall. We read it on the net before (sometimes months before) we get it in our hands. If you don't follow every car on the net sometimes you don't know. But not in this case. You would have to live under a rock not to know about this one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online