gibson exhaust

rmsg0040

Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
Hey there guys, I just recently installed a gibson exhaust 315597 on my 2003 4X4 Trailblazer.

Few things concerned me was the flange, the rear most hanger, and the piping when it goes over the rear axle

On the OE exhaust the flange was tight and flush, with the gibson not so much. I tried to tighten more but cant.
The rear most hanger is at an angle. I am concerned that the hanger will melt
The piping going over the axle contacts metals on the body.

Anybody have these issues with the gibson exhaust?

IMAG0952_zpsafc0b4a8.jpg

IMAG0950_zps263e923c.jpg

IMAG0949_zpsc01dcb4c.jpg

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I can tell you that those hangers will not melt no matter if the pipes are cherry red.
It's about 1/2 inch of solid metal and heat gets dissipated pretty fast especially when driving.
I was heating the fitted bolt heads on that mid flange since the nut and half the bolt broke off when trying to remove.
The flange was bright cherry hot red but that rubber holding hangers will take that heat.
I think the exhaust would reach 200-250, maybe 300 degrees F (assuming engine temperature). Metal won't glow starting at 400.

As for that rear bend touch the frame... it seems that something isn't seating well such at a hanger isn't welded in the OEM place and might have to be repositioned. Maybe this is why your flanges aren't seating together well, a hanger weld is off buy a few.

rmsg0040

Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
OEM exhaust fit perfect, flush with the flange, all hangers sat well, no contact with frame

I am not too concerned about the flange or the rear most hanger

I am more concerned with the gibson touching the frame.

I can hear the vibration as it is contacting the frame at idle inside the cabin

In the last pic I can cut the piece on the left but the pipe is also contacting up top as seen in pic

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Ive had the gibson aluminum for a while. My flange is nice and tight. The rear hanger was like that but after some adjustments and rotating the pipe a little bit I got it to fit fine. Mine never hit the body but mine was damn close to the spring. loosen the clamp and rotate the pipe some, that should fix both of your issues.

I saw was cause mine is falling apart now. The aluminum pipe has corroded through. First the exhaust tip broke off, and now just yesterday it sounded louder. The pipe corroded through just past the muffler.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
rmsg0040 said:
Just went out and repositioned

All clear!

Thanks guys

No prob

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432