getting ready for tranny flush

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
well im getting ready to do a tranny flush and I was out pricing stuff and I find that most dex 3 fluid (which my 03 takes) is about 5 to 6 dollars a quart. or 17 to 19 a gal
and that the upgrade dex 6 is 7 to 9
except at the famous wal mart which has dex 3 in Valvoline for 4.37 , super tech for 3.30, and super tech high millage? for 3.67
not sure what the diff in reg or the high milage is for .30cents

also I found a red jugged Valvoline max life multi vehicle atf for 17 a gal and on the back it states
it is recommended in vehicles that require dex 2 dex 3 and dex 6

really?? a gal of dex 6 compatible atf for 17 a gal?? that's 4.25 a qt.!!
the same stuff is at oreillys for 7 a qt lol

anyway I am gathering fluids, filter kit and related items to get it done before winter
I am also going to install a tru cool cooler and maybe even a add on remote filter kit
and a temp sender somewhere w a gauge
got to do the drivers axel seal first tho its getting worse!! smell gear oil around the tire after driving now

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
In the same boat. Got 12 quarts of Amsoil Dex6 equivalent waiting to go in. Going to get a Napa filter as I hear wix makes those as well. Need to do the flush too before winter. A brother of mine gets amsoil real cheap through his shop so he scoffed some for me.

That and I just changed out the driver side cv seal. Wasnt as hard as I thought. Only problem was I removed the wheel speed sensor from the bearing to remove it. When I put it back in it now throws abs codes, have no abs or stabilitrak. Reseated the thing two more times but no luck in clearing the code. Going to get a read on its output with a multimeter tomorrow

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
BrianF said:
In the same boat. Got 12 quarts of Amsoil Dex6 equivalent waiting to go in. Going to get a Napa filter as I hear wix makes those as well. Need to do the flush too before winter. A brother of mine gets amsoil real cheap through his shop so he scoffed some for me.

That and I just changed out the driver side cv seal. Wasnt as hard as I thought. Only problem was I removed the wheel speed sensor from the bearing to remove it. When I put it back in it now throws abs codes, have no abs or stabilitrak. Reseated the thing two more times but no luck in clearing the code. Going to get a read on its output with a multimeter tomorrow

I have heard that about napa silver and gold oil filters but not sure about tranny filters have to check into it

finished up my seal today wasn't bad but why did you remove the speed sensor?? I popped the upper ball joint out of the control arm and the tierod end off but still couldn't get the shaft to clear the carrier. so I popped the lower ball joint and removed the carrier all together. if you follow the sensor wire back there is a disconnect on the frame rail right in front of you . took it off and set the whole thing aside .

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I followed some write up I found somewhere. I should have just taken the dame connector off or even tried the lower ball joint. In hind sight......

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
yeah it was a lot easier with the carrier on the floor out of my way

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
When I tore into the passenger side to grease up the disconnect I left the sensor in place and unclipped the line from the spindle. Was tight but the bearing came out without any drama. I sure wish I did that the first time.

Dec 4, 2011
BrianF said:

Just finished having my drivers side cv seal replaced. Do you think may have something to do with the Potholes we are constantly driving through. :undecided: I have Amsoil in all places except the transfer case which needs the real GM Blue stuff.

When I did my filter a couple of years ago I think I used about 13-14 Liters just to make sure the old was out and the new was in.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Skip the Dex III and go with Dex VI. I did this at 70k, it has 150k on it now. I tow a travel trailer and have towed it through mountains in WY and MT. I did not put an axillary cooler on until this summer. I just had the valve body off to put in a shift kit and upgraded separator plate. My accumulator pistons looked like new (replaced them anyway with aluminum pistons), the bores on the valve body were not worn, and there was no visible wear on my separator plate. Other members report that normally at high mileage their parts are pretty trashed. I attribute at least some of the longevity of my trans to the Dex VI. It runs cooler and is a better lubricate.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online

No members online now.