Gearheads & Horology

ShadowClutch

Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Is anyone else into horology/ collecting watches? While my dad always collected, bought, and sold vintage watches, my love of automobiles actually got me into collecting because of the mechanical purity in a watch movement. I've even contemplated the design of a mainspring-driven automobile with an adjustable escapement to control acceleration.

Here's part of my collection, excluding a few pieces to which I no longer give much attention.

Tissot PRC200 (left), Seiko "Orange Monster" (middle), Seiko SNZH55 (right)
350njb7.jpg

Maratac Large Pilot
2gspx80.jpg

I currently have the Orange Monster on a beefy bracelet instead of the black Zulu strap it came on, like this (not mine):
standard.jpg

While I'm into diver/pilot/field watches, I really dig some of crazier concepts that I wouldn't dream of wearing:
Jaquet Droz Bird Repeater
[video=youtube;yJamzhuA1Jc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJamzhuA1Jc[/video]

And some that I can only dream of wearing;
(This one reminds me of a muscle car dash)
A. Lange & Sohne Zeitwerk
lange-zeitwerk.png

zeitwerk_back.jpg

Just like a car/truck, a watch can be modded to death. You can swap dials, hands, datewheels, bezels, straps, beadblast the cases, flip the movement and have the watch run backwards, etc. So I think these two hobbies go in hand pretty well.

Anyone else?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I'm not really into collecting, although a variety of accessories is a must lol. I would however LOVE to have this watch.

View attachment 27191

Attachments

• $(KGrHqNHJE!FElO+iUdKBRKwdiUUrg~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqNHJE!FElO+iUdKBRKwdiUUrg~~60_12.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 7

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
While I do like collecting, my collection is rather small. I have a couple of old, broken Timex watches, that belonged to my grandfather(maternal). I also have a Bulova, from my other grandfather, he got while he was in the Korean war. That one is, and always will be, my favorite. Ill post up pics of them later tonight, or tomorrow. The two watches pictured, are my two favorite "dream" watches. Combined value of about 20k.

Attachments

• th (1).jpg
    th (1).jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 39
  • tread (2).jpg
    tread (2).jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 39

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
I just started collecting / restoring 400 Day Anniversary clocks. I've got 4 right now, working to restore two of them. My father used to dabble in repairing wrist watches and pocket watches, that takes some patience.

View attachment 27201

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 5

05tbowner

Feb 8, 2012
I've been into collecting and restoring watches since before I was 8! I love working on them. I have built a few myself. The hobby can be more expensive than car modding!

ShadowClutch

Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Voymom said:
I'm not really into collecting, although a variety of accessories is a must lol. I would however LOVE to have this watch.

Cute.

Conner299 said:
While I do like collecting, my collection is rather small. I have a couple of old, broken Timex watches, that belonged to my grandfather(maternal). I also have a Bulova, from my other grandfather, he got while he was in the Korean war. That one is, and always will be, my favorite. Ill post up pics of them later tonight, or tomorrow. The two watches pictured, are my two favorite "dream" watches. Combined value of about 20k.

Good for you. Tags are hit or miss for a lot of watch enthusiasts. I feel they're kind of over priced for what they are, but the Monaco is the star of their entire line.

freddyboy61 said:
I just started collecting / restoring 400 Day Anniversary clocks. I've got 4 right now, working to restore two of them. My father used to dabble in repairing wrist watches and pocket watches, that takes some patience.

I drink way too much coffee and fitness stimulants to work on watches, but I do have a list of mods to do to one of my project watches, the SNZH55 pictured above. There are also vendors like Motor City Watch Works (MCWW) who will mod watches to your specifications for pretty reasonable rates.

05tbowner said:
I've been into collecting and restoring watches since before I was 8! I love working on them. I have built a few myself. The hobby can be more expensive than car modding!

Care to share? I love seeing custom work. And yes, watches can be serious money.

groundshock said:
This is not what I thought this thread was about... Bummer.

Haha. Sorry. I don't have access to that part of the site, if it even exists.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tcwest38

Members Online