Gas Pedal Travel Restricted

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Was working on my brake controller today and also lubing my brake pedal. As I was doing this I looked over at the gas pedal and pressed it down all the way and noticed that the back side of the pedal hits the firewall. It doesn't go down all the way. Can someone confirm this? I wonder if I can cut some of the metal off with a hacksaw and see better performance.

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
The accelerator is electronic. It no longer requires alot of space like the old throttle cable setups. It is similar to a video game.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Wex said:
The accelerator is electronic. It no longer requires alot of space like the old throttle cable setups. It is similar to a video game.

Nevertheless, it has potentiometers and can be restricted to it's full range of travel. My last scan tool reading was around 80% pressing the pedal as far as it physically will go. Will have to double check.

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
I haven't looked at the pedal, but is there any way to angle it differently? Be the sensor or the pedal itself? That way it would give it more range of travel?

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Phantom said:
I haven't looked at the pedal, but is there any way to angle it differently? Be the sensor or the pedal itself? That way it would give it more range of travel?

Without removing the pedal assembly itself there really is no way to know. All I know is that if I had the adjustable pedals then I can conceive that I wouldn't be hitting the firewall so the pedal itself must have a built-in stop. Or maybe the pedal assemblies (adjustable vs. non-adjustable) are built different and the non-adjustable needs to hit the firewall to stop. Just don't know without comparing the two.

newfie6719

Sep 27, 2012
i just checked my 05 tb with the peddle pressed all the way down nothing touching the firewall it's at least 1/4 inch clearance hope this helps u

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
newfie6719 said:
i just checked my 05 tb with the peddle pressed all the way down nothing touching the firewall it's at least 1/4 inch clearance hope this helps u

I have been looking at a few aftermarket and oem gas pedals online. More that a few appear to be different. Wondering if the Envoy or EXT/XL makes a difference.

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
I'm wondering if 80% still commands wide open throttle. I remember seeing a youtube video about removing torque management and had all the components laid out working on a table. Only one way to find out I suppose.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online