(FYI) SSR Front X-Brace Bolts To Rainier Perfectly

psemeraro

Original poster
Aug 13, 2023
Orlando, FL
Hi friends. Grabbed an SSR front oem x-brace and installed it on my 05 Rainier l6. Rear section uses existing bolts in place and front section has frame drilled but no nut welded in so I dropped a bolt/washer from up top thru the hole and bolted it from underneath. Absolutely no cutting/trimming/adjusting required other than hammering a bit of clearance in the brace for the oil drain plug

Driving observations were more noticable than expected. A calmer, tighter feeling front end. Less steering input required for some scenarios (think lane change on two lane roads, and other small input driving scenarios) and return to center after cornering improved. Some actual road feel makes it thru the steering wheel.

Low speed driving that stresses the chasis torsionally such as pulling into/out of driveways and parking lots, corners with grades, angled rr tracks etc truck feels much more stable and modern. Curved highway ramps and other torsional stress situations at higher speed same type of improvements.

Was it worth the $100 for the part plus an hour under the truck? For me yes.

Cheers,
Pat

Reactions: christo829

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Interesting. Do you have any pics? I don't know where an x-brace goes. This would conceivably work on any GMT 360?

psemeraro

Original poster
Aug 13, 2023
Orlando, FL
This link has a photo if you scroll. Brace goes under the engine. It looks stout under there which is why it surprised me how different the truck felt with the brace installed.
link

Yes any gmt 360 I would think.

Simple Engineerings alu plate is obviously better but the factory x-brace is cheap and installs in minutes.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
2003-chevrolet-ssr.jpg

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have been boxing around the idea of getting a SSR with a bad tranny, swap in a tranny and transfer case from a 9-7x Aero/TBSS, swap the oil pan, and make it AWD.

But that costs money..

Reactions: Mooseman

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I'm curious, what are the bolt and nut size used for attaching the brace?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online