Fuelly - Track your gas mileage

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Hey Guys,

I see a few users on here using this website so I decided to check it out. I really like it. I always track my mileage from each fill up just so I know if somethings not right, but I've never had a good place to log the info. I've tried spreadsheets/local mobile apps/ etc but nothing shared the info or allowed me to see how everyone else is doing with their mileage. I'm going to try and stay committed to this so I can build a record. Anyone else want to join me? Or do you have an alternative that works for you?

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I use an app on my phone called aCar that tracks mileage as well as maintenance records. It gives monthly and quarterly averages for mileage and fuel costs. You can put reminders in to check things like air pressure or washer fluid by time or miles.

BTW, glad to see my V8 is getting about the same mileage as your I6. I was just wondering about that today, whether I was getting bad mileage or if it was about on par with others. My best on a trip was about 16.5 or 17.

Feb 24, 2012
I've been using Gas Cubby for a few years and enjoy it. It's not a free app, but it's not expensive.

My all time average is 10.9 mpg...

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
I use this: Auto Maintenance Pro, designed for the personal vehicle owner
It's not free but you can get a 30 day free trial and and track all maintenance, oil, tires, wash wax.
I've been using it for close to 20 years.

I really like the look of this software, I keep a small paper log book in the glove box for maintenance records. This would be a nice improvement, but for tracking gas mileage I'm looking for something mobile. Fuelly doesn't have an app but they have a mobile site that is easy enough.

xOgrex

Sep 17, 2012
I use an app called FuelLog on my Android phone. The free version is limited, but I used it for about six months before buying it for $1.99. Since it's an app for my phone, I can enter the info while I'm filling up. It also lets me track any maintenance costs (parts and labor can be entered separately, so if you do your own work, it's still pertinent). And it has a stats page showing things like best, worst and avg. fuel economy, avg. fuel cost per mile, avg. maintenance cost per mile, etc, etc. Pretty nifty. The paid version also supports multiple vehicles.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I also use the acar app. I LOVE it!! :biggrin:

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
Hey NewfieEnvoy, I thanked WarGawd for hooking me up to Fuelly. I have stopped using Excel

aCar looks cool but the Permissions aren't. "Allows the app to access the phone features of the device." :frown:

FuelLog looks cool too, so I might give it a try.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Canadian Mike said:
aCar looks cool but the Permissions aren't. "Allows the app to access the phone features of the device." :frown:

My phone has only asked for data access twice since I've been using the app.

From the website linked above:

Privacy Policy

Why does aCar need Phone State Read permission?
It's used to read your phone hardware ID to tie your Donation ID to it (if you've donated). This is to prevent others from using your Donation ID. Even if one steals your code, he won't be able to use it because his phone ID is different.

Why does aCar need Internet Access permission?
It's used to check the validity of your Donation ID, with aCar website, when you're registering that ID in aCar application.

Why does aCar need Fine (GPS) Location permission?
It's used to find your current place or the nearby places (e.g. gas station, parking lot, car wash, repair center, etc) and to attach their geographical location to your fill-up, service, expense or trip records. Later you can check them out on map.
Note: Your geographical location is NOT shared with anyone and nobody tracks it.

Why does aCar need Storage Write permission?
It's used to write your data backups or exported records/statistics on your phone storage (or on SD-Card).

Why does aCar need Storage Read permission?
It's used to read your data backups or your historical data from your phone storage (or on SD-Card) to restore/import from.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I just started fuelly today so now im using acar and fuelly to see which one us more accurate.

peepod2727

Nov 14, 2012
I've had fuelly for about 10 or 11 months now and it's so nice and very easy to do.
The only question I have is how do you get the mileage tracker in your signature??

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
C-ya said:
My phone has only asked for data access twice since I've been using the app.

Thanks for the info, C-ya

peepod2727 said:
I've had fuelly for about 10 or 11 months now and it's so nice and very easy to do.
The only question I have is how do you get the mileage tracker in your signature??

Under the "Log Book", look for the badge icon. You'll then be able to get these;

Small Banner

Large Banner

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
peepod2727 said:

I've been trying to get the banner in my signature like WarGawd but it doesn't want to work for me. I used the add url image to signature section but I don't think it will update when I make more entries.

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
I don't think it will update when I make more entries.

I think it might as I was @ 14.9 and now after my latest entry -> 15.0 :smile:.

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
NewfieEnvoy said:
Hey Guys,

I'm going to try and stay committed to this so I can build a record.

Uh huh sure sure - Jan 31st? I hope that's because you really didn't have to put gas in since then hehehhe

Canadian Mike said:
Under the "Log Book", look for the badge icon. You'll then be able to get these;

Small Banner

Large Banner

NewfieEnvoy said:
I've been trying to get the banner in my signature like WarGawd but it doesn't want to work for me. I used the add url image to signature section but I don't think it will update when I make more entries.

Canadian Mike said:
I think it might as I was @ 14.9 and now after my latest entry -> 15.0 :smile:.

Yeah - I'm seeing that the banners seem to get updated within the body of posts, but NOT in the signature section which is what I had hoped for... I may track down our resident expert and see if that can be done.

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
Voymom said:
I just started fuelly today so now im using acar and fuelly to see which one us more accurate.

Against what standard are you verifying the relative accuracy of each application? Because I noticed they just recently decommissioned the world's first petaflop supercomputer, you may be able to pick it up cheap:

World’s top supercomputer from ‘09 is now obsolete, will be dismantled

OTOH, I'm guessing more than 5 fills will be required to get any real accuracy anyway LOL

EDIT - I'm totally envious of your gas prices btw... ~50% more up here :-(

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
WarGawd said:
Yeah - I'm seeing that the banners seem to get updated within the body of posts, but NOT in the signature section which is what I had hoped for... I may track down our resident expert and see if that can be done.

I noticed that the sig wasn't updating as well.

:ugh: Are you trying to catch up to me in terms of fuel-ups? Averaging 3 fuel-ups/week to my 3 fuel-ups/month!!

Reidonly

Dec 10, 2012

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online