FS: 05 TB Speedometer?cluster

dvibbert

Original poster
May 3, 2014
I am selling a speedometer from an 05 TB. I put blue cube led's in about two months ago, and now decided to change the color. So I am just putting in a red cube set in a spare speedometer. The speedometer works perfectly fine. It has a little over 180,000 miles on the speedo. I would like to get $60 but open to offers

Attachments

• IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 23
Feb 16, 2012
Ok, since I am far from knowing much technical.... Since that speedo had the number you mentioned, where is the mileage stored? If I put this in my '05 LS, would it show my actual mileage, or whatever was on it when you removed it from yours?

Thank you in advance!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
It's stored inside the cluster, you'd have to put it in your car then go to a dealer and get them to whip out the fancy TechII and then they can program your miles into it.

Reactions: Capote
Feb 16, 2012
Mounce said:
It's stored inside the cluster, you'd have to put it in your car then go to a dealer and get them to whip out the fancy TechII and then they can program your miles into it.
Thank you for that tidbit. Anyone know the rough cost of the dealers doing this? I know they like being able to charge pretty much whatever they want to do these sort of things, and yes, I am sure it can very person to person, just looking for a general cost ballpark.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Just a thought, I'd try to document in multiple ways what your current mileage was before going to them and asking them to do that. I could see them giving you an extremely hard time about it. Maybe even a few pictures of the swap (pictures with a piece of paper with your name and date on it in the picture beside the subject of the picture aka gauge cluster halfway removed. This would also be a good way to document your mileage like mentioned above in my post.) so that they won't have anything to fuss about.

dvibbert

Original poster
May 3, 2014
I agree 100% Dealers seem to assume everyone is shady, although they charge rob you blind prices for little to nothing. I called my buddy who works at our local dealership and he said it should be pretty easy to do with Tech II

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I would guesstimate that they would probably charge around $50. Shouldn't be nowhere near $100...so it'll probably cost you less than a hundred.

Could possibly call and see what they say though.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe even the Tech 2 can't change a used odometer. Can you imagine a dealer rolling back an odometer? I think they can do it to a brand new one for the case of a replacement.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Shoutout to MAY03LT, can your Tech2 change odometer readings?

There's no reason that it shouldn't be able to, moose, after all, mainly dealerships have Tech2's and they're good boys with them and would never violate laws by skewing an odometer reading. They'd just do it for something like this case.

Someone somewhere can change it. If not, there'd be absolutely no legal market for used instrument clusters.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
It's weird that it would be stored in the cluster. Pretty much every digital odometer I've had 03+ for Chevy has been in the computer. When you plug in the new cluster you get your computers mileage. The trip has all I've ever seen in the cluster.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Anybody can buy a Tech 2. Even if you don't update it, you can still use it. PCMs can also be changed so it doesn't matter where it's stored.

May03LT can probably confirm it.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I can't do it with mine and even the shop I worked at which had a tech2 and also had TIS account could not do it either. Blckshdw had his done by a speedo repair shop for a touch over $100 IIRC.

Feb 16, 2012
I tend not to have much free time at all, or the downtime to be able to pull my dash out and do the LED upgrades. Even as simple as it seems, most times I have to be able to get up and go at a moment's notice (for work or my volunteering), and having the vehicle pulled apart is not very conducive to that. I just wonder now which is more involved, purchasing this and then getting all the work to correct the mileage etc in this unit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
filthycasual

Members Online