Front caliper slide pins different from one another?

Opeth

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Does anyone know why one of the pins is different than the other? One of the pins has what looks like a plastic sleeve on one end and the other does not. Do these have to go back into a certain hole?

I think my calipers are hanging up due to my slide pins, and I don't think I payed attention to which pin came from where or the grease I used isn't right and too thick or something.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Opeth said:
Does anyone know why one of the pins is different than the other? One of the pins has what looks like a plastic sleeve on one end and the other does not. Do these have to go back into a certain hole?

I think my calipers are hanging up due to my slide pins, and I don't think I payed attention to which pin came from where or the grease I used isn't right and too thick or something.

The pins should be exactly the same. Permatex or similar high temp Silicone grease is what you use for them.

View attachment 26481

This is a raybestos brake caliper kit. All of these parts must be replaced at every brake pad change in order to achieve peak performance. The caliper needs to be wire brushed as well to remove rust scale that will impede replacement and ensure smooth operation of the pads..The slide pin boots are the 4 round things in the picture. They get fitted into the groove on the pins shown above.

View attachment 26482

Attachments

• 410CJRHSBWL._SX300_.jpeg
    410CJRHSBWL._SX300_.jpeg
    11.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 41nC8A6MB1L.jpg
    41nC8A6MB1L.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 7

Opeth

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Actually.... Those are the rear caliper bolts.

These are the fronts. Clearly different and I don't k now why one has the black plastic part. I've used permatex but it just doesn't seem like the proper lube, it gums up and it's harder than hell to slide the pins. I was told to try sil-glide from napa instead.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 59

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
did you take the other side out yet?

earlier years did not have different pins, mine are the same.

if not, have you checked the service manuals?

Opeth

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Yea I've already done the brakes, trying to diagnose a noise coming from the front end. When I'm accelerating it sounds as if I am braking on slotted rotors which I have. So I'm thinking the pads are being stuck to the rotor for too long.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I looked in the 2006 manuals posted here, and cannot see any reference to the different guide pins.

not sure the pins sticking would cause your issue. could be the hydraulics.

just noise? do you think the brake is still engaged? does it get very hot? is your mileage off? does it pull to one side?

I just have the oem disks, so not familiar with slotted disk behavior.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Opeth said:
Actually.... Those are the rear caliper bolts.

These are the fronts. Clearly different and I don't k now why one has the black plastic part. I've used permatex but it just doesn't seem like the proper lube, it gums up and it's harder than hell to slide the pins. I was told to try sil-glide from napa instead.

Hmm.I have never seen pins like that. Mine are totally different.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Hmm.I have never seen pins like that. Mine are totally different.

they must have changed them for 2006. I looked em up at Rock auto, they have nice pictures, if nothing else.
:wink:

Dec 4, 2011
My 06 Denali has pins like your and I "think" the pin with the sleeve goes in the bottom of the caliper. Sorry I wish I could be more sure but it was a couple of years ago I did my brakes.

I did one at a time and when I went to reinstall the first side I noticed the different pin and couldn't remember where it came from so I took off the other side paying a lot more attention to detail.

Upon using the Google friend it appears that replacement sets do not differentiate between the pins. Although I have read where you are supposed to tighten the leading pin first then the trailing pin.

So if you are reusing the pins the collared pin should be the trailing pin and it you are replacing with aftermarket then apparently it doesn't matter.

Opeth

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Well I guess it sounds like a bad wheel bearing, a distinctive hum between 20-30 mph, however they are brand new wheel bearings. The sound is not present until I drive a few miles down the road and the tone doesn't change when I turn either direction. The sound is only coming from the passenger side, only other options could be Cv shaft ( still OEM's, but aren't clicking) or an issue with the disconnect bearings ( still OEM, never been opened up)

I'm also on mud tires so the sound could be masked but the tires usually don't get loud till highway speeds. I just don't want to throw parts at the truck.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.