found out my voy was in a accident today!

jayd1563

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
So heres the story,,,As some of you know,,ive got my voy up for sale..Ive had many come look at it but no buyers as of yet.Well today i met with another possible buyer...He asked if i had a carfax report,i told him no but would be more than happy to get one as i have nothing to hide.He said no problem and that he would get one himself....Jump forward to tonight,,i meet up with him,,he is very happy with how my voy is and says "oh by the way, your truck has been in a accident back in 06'.
I about feel over! total surprise. I bought it back in march of 08' with 36,000 miles and was told by the dealership that the truck was perfect and a great driver... My question is,is this legal?? did i get scammed by Midway Kia in Des Plaines???? Arent they supposed to say if its been in a wreck??..Granted my truck has been great to me,,I've never had any real issues with it but i still feel like taking it back there and driving it through the front door!!

jham

Nov 20, 2011
jayd1563 said:
So heres the story,,,As some of you know,,ive got my voy up for sale..Ive had many come look at it but no buyers as of yet.Well today i met with another possible buyer...He asked if i had a carfax report,i told him no but would be more than happy to get one as i have nothing to hide.He said no problem and that he would get one himself....Jump forward to tonight,,i meet up with him,,he is very happy with how my voy is and says "oh by the way, your truck has been in a accident back in 06'.
I about feel over! total surprise. I bought it back in march of 08' with 36,000 miles and was told by the dealership that the truck was perfect and a great driver... My question is,is this legal?? did i get scammed by Midway Kia in Des Plaines???? Arent they supposed to say if its been in a wreck??..Granted my truck has been great to me,,I've never had any real issues with it but i still feel like taking it back there and driving it through the front door!!

as long as it wasn't totaled then yes its legal. as far as i know I had this happen to me with the first car i ever bought as well... Midway is that a dealer in Kansas??? My brother in law got a truck from them and has been nothing but problems for him

jayd1563

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
no its midway kia in des plaines/chicago....no it wasnt totaled,,his carfax said it need 2 tires,a window,fender,and controlarm all on drivers side....like i said my truck has been fantasic but it just pisses me off finding this out today.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
jayd1563 said:
no its midway kia in des plaines/chicago.....like i said my truck has been fantasic but it just pisses me off finding this out today.

ya it sure did me when it happened to me like you said i wanted to drive it through there dealer ship

jayd1563

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
jham said:
ya it sure did me when it happened to me like you said i wanted to drive it through there dealer ship
im sure theres nothing i can do but chalk it up as a learning expierience...always ask for a background report,even from the dealership!

High Voltage

Nov 18, 2011
When I pulled off my side molding this summer I discovered mine has been wrecked too! Drivers side rear door!

So did you sell it? Damn I would love to have it!!

jayd1563

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
High Voltage said:
When I pulled off my side molding this summer I discovered mine has been wrecked too! Drivers side rear door!

So did you sell it? Damn I would love to have it!!
no still have it,,i think finding out about that from 06' might have scared him off....It also makes me made cause i feel like it makes me look bad cause i didnt tell him about it,,kinda like i was hiding it even though it was news to me also!

TB2k4

Dec 4, 2011
nothing you can do about it man. a friend was working on my truck and he told me it looked like there was some work on the front end from a possible accident. i was PO'd when i found out this way, i felt cheated.

Filter

Dec 5, 2011
This just happened to me when I bought my 06 a couple of weeks ago. I decided to do a carfax on the TB I was buying right at the last minute. (already had the money in hand) To my dismay it reported 2 accidents! It was rear ended and it hit someone with the frontend. One good thing is that it didn't have any reported frame damage or air bag deployment.

The guy agreed to take $500 more off the price and to let me look it over again just a lot closer this time. As far as I can tell the front and rear bumpers were replaced. It sucks for me if I ever go to sell it, but I plan on running it into the ground.

Carfax has really made a name for themselves in the past few years. I guess it is lesson learned and you just have to say "show me the carfax" from now on.

BTW a accident could be as little as hitting a deer or coyote. If it had a police report or insurance claim it's going to show up.

jayd1563

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
High Voltage said:
How much you asking for it? :undecided:

i really want to get somethin with better mpg so i dropped it to 10,200:frown: KBB has it anywhere from 9,900-11,600 i think.

High Voltage

Nov 18, 2011
jayd1563 said:
i really want to get somethin with better mpg so i dropped it to 10,200:frown: KBB has it anywhere from 9,900-11,600 i think.

It's worth every penny of that!!
If I could afford it I'd buy it!
Love that truck! :drooling:

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
When I bought my Envoy, carfax was still relatively new. Asking the Dealer for a copy was unheard of. I took the VIN# home before I bought the truck and ran it myself!

Mine was in a minor rear end collision. I could never tell by looking at it, Ive had it 8 years and it has 150,025 miles on it now with no obvious collision related problems.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
I bought my SS in September 2007. A few months later, I took it to the dealer to get the TPSM serviced and found out then that it had been in two crashes. I'll have to admit, I never asked before I bought it. It was only one year old and looked perfect. There is a small amount of overspray on the front (you have to be looking pretty hard to see) and now the clearcoat is starting to peel on the rear. Other than that, you would never know.

If the dealer had told me, I probably would have bought it anyway. But it would have been nice to know.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
I bought my '05 in March of '06 with 14k miles on it. In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, you can be damn sure I checked Carfax. There were way too many "newly detailed" vehicles out there that had mud under the seats. And I'm not talking about the carpet under the seat, either. I passed on a similar one that had mud packed in the frame rails from a "no Carfax available" dealer.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Lessons learned. :book:

If you don't ask, they won't tell. Like someone said, always ask for a report from a dealer. An honest one will give it to you no hassles, and may even have it ready for you before you walk in.

A crooked one will balk at the notion. If they do, grab the VIN and run one yourself. They're not allowed to stop you from getting one. It may give you leverage to get a better deal if you still really want the whip.

:deal:

:coffee:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Carfax and similar seemed to be just a given now. A good number of the online ads had the free carfax right there. If not I just ask for one. It wouldn't ever dawn on me to buy a car without one. My recently purchased 9-7 had both the carfax and the Autocheck report. The carfax had a lot more detail compared to the Autocheck. Carfax listed every service that was performed on the vehicle and the SAAb dealer that performed it. I then called that dealer and asked more questions as for instance the transfer case fluid and tranny fluid and air filter change were listed as scheduled maintainance. An accident, as you'd expect, removes some of the value from the car as does each successive number of owners. I was shocked to see how many 3 an 4 year old cars had 3 and 4 owners or were fleet vehicles. That said, some smaller accidents seem to go unreported and so you can get a car that clearly has had work done but a clean carfax. I encountered some of those while shopping as well.

On the flip side, I need to sell my minivan. Several years back, I came out of a hotel where we were vacationing, to find an employee had bashed the passenger side of the van with their car and caved in the door, called the cops and there was a police report under the wiper. I have no idea how that is going to look on the carfax if someone were to ask me for one. At a certain point in time when a car simply becomes 'transportation' it will matter much less to a possible buyer and especially as they hit the bottom of the depreciation curve. If i'm shopping for a 2007 or 2008, to me a car that is barely broken in, still has a lot of its value and so I am going to avoid the car with prior damage unless the price isn't just less but substantially less. First I seek out a car, see its price, then envisage a true market price, then jew them down to a much lower number that most wouldn't offer, if it is damaged, there is a multiplier effect to that number. When you make the deal, you make a deal that is fantastic. As an example, when my wife totaled my first Rainier, the insurance company totaled it out at more than I paid for it years earlier on their first offer.

jayd1563

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
High Voltage said:
It's worth every penny of that!!
If I could afford it I'd buy it!
Love that truck! :drooling:
well if it was going in YOUR garage i could always knock off a few hundred dollars more lol!....and yeah lesson learned,,my bad i guess.

crmcknight

Dec 16, 2011
My experience with Carfax is that although it may show that your vehicle is "accident free", it may not actually be. The only accidents that are reported to Carfax are reportable (major) accidents. If your car was in an accident and able to be driven away, it's not going to be reported. When I got my TB almost 2 years ago, the carfax said no accidents, however, I know it has been repainted on the rear quarter panel, and the back fascia is not original. It was probably hit in a parking lot or something.

Short story: when I traded in my 2009 Malibu (that I bought brand new) for my TB I had been in two accidents with it. I was hit once by a snowplow, and rear ended, had it fixed both times. When the dealership listed my car for sale on their website, I checked the free carfax with the listing - and miraculously, it said no accidents.

Moral of the story - I dont have a high regard for Carfax.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
crmcknight said:
My experience with Carfax is that although it may show that your vehicle is "accident free", it may not actually be. The only accidents that are reported to Carfax are reportable (major) accidents.

In the case of my previous car, it had been in an accident at least twice, neither of which showed up on the carfax report.

First accident it was in required a whole new door on the passenger side, a new T-top, the hood was repainted, fender replaced, and who knows what else that I didn't see. From what I could tell the A-pillar got tweaked also since the dash and that pillar didn't line up. The second I knew about, deer damage on the front left corner - it had a cracked fender and bumper. I didn't know about the passenger side door until it got scratched by someone and the original dark blue paint showed through.

My Trailblazer was in an accident only a few months prior to me getting it, but that showed up on the Carfax. Very minor however. It was rear-ended which cracked the cover in one spot (really have to look for the crack) and bent the metal bumper underneath a bit, and it apparently got pushed into the car in front of it because the front cover was replaced. No damage underneath the cover that I can see however, and that was the extent of the damage. No biggie.

jayd1563

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Bartonmd said:
That sucks, man!

Mike
well the good news is that the guy called again today and is interested. He wants to buy it for his daughter in colorado so we will see.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online