Fogs hid bad ?

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Check out these narly throws
Imho that is terrible..is it the chincheap bulbs im using ?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353464243867.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353464243867.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 38
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353464279381.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353464279381.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 38

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Possibly. I would also say it is because you're putting HID in a housing that is totally not designed for it.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Damn right after this post i managed to swing the drover door open and smacked my forehead...hello concussion maybe stitches. Fml:thumbdown:

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Sparky said:
Possibly. I would also say it is because you're putting HID in a housing that is totally not designed for it.

Do we have a aftermarket hid fog housing we can buy ?

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
ssmedt said:
Unless you make your own custom, no nothing I have ever seen for any 360 fog

Bummer. Was worries that was the case. Ok two thought or question
Was very foggy lastnight (black friday) had to do a lot of driving now since im using 2500-3000k i noticed an improvement in light output however it didn't seem to help visibility in the fog..is it because of the beam scatter or are my housing not adjusted right ? Iv noticed one beam is 30' ahead of me while the other is 15' ahead of me...not sure the correct way to adjust them but i dis find there is an alen bolt and spring to adjust the housings.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I would suspect maybe both.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Not having the right housing is causing light to scatter too much to be any kind of useful in fog. Not having them adjusted correctly isnt helping, but even with them adjusted right your still SOL because the housing your using is not going to work with hids.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
TangoBravo said:
Not having the right housing is causing light to scatter too much to be any kind of useful in fog. Not having them adjusted correctly isnt helping, but even with them adjusted right your still SOL because the housing your using is not going to work with hids.

OK than why is everyone using hids in there fog housings ? I only got em to light sh!t up at night LOL

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Because a lot of people use HID where they really shouldn't be :tongue:

Even in higher end cars you rarely see HID in fog lights.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Sparky said:

True.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
I figure some people like looks over function. Fact of matter is if you use hids in the fogs it will probably look cool in a parking lot hangin out with friends. Once you try and use them in a fog situation your shit out of luck.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
TangoBravo said:
I figure some people like looks over function. Fact of matter is if you use hids in the fogs it will probably look cool in a parking lot hangin out with friends. Once you try and use them in a fog situation your shit out of luck.

Found that out. But they do light up dark spots where the lows and highs can't light up. Plus there yellow which is the best color for all road conditions. They did help a little more than the stock halogen bulbs but they do have a beam throw issue

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Sparky said:

is there even a car that comes with HID's factory on the fogs? Not that I know of at least

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
is there even a car that comes with HID's factory on the fogs? Not that I know of at least

I haven't seen any. Except my Volkswagen Jetta had a straight six and it also had hid type fogs but i dont think the were hid bulbs but they sure had the lens inside just like hid.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
TangoBravo said:
I figure some people like looks over function. Fact of matter is if you use hids in the fogs it will probably look cool in a parking hangin out with friends. Once you try and use them in a fog situation your shit out of luck.

In the majority of cases it seems to be this.
A lot of people think it looks cool, or it's the cool thing to do in their group, or their just ignorant and haven't tried to find the info or can't find it... they just went with what a buddy says. Frequently even though the lighting appears to be brighter it's actually illuminating less distance.
Lighting needs to be done as a system, light bulb, ballasts, lens, housing, wiring etc. It's similar to putting a 700hp motor in a car then leaving the stock brakes, transmission, rear end and then wondering why the transmission and rear end shear teeth off and they hit someone cause they can't slow down from the faster speeds they can reach.
I'd say this is more common than things being done right.

If you can find a car that uses HIDs stock you can steal that housing and use it in your truck

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
TRS has blazer projector fogs that are supposed to work decently with HID. I've thought about finding a way to make those work.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Ghost said:
I haven't seen any. Except my Volkswagen Jetta had a straight six and it also had hid type fogs but i dont think the were hid bulbs but they sure had the lens inside just like hid.

I have not seen any cars come with HIDs for the fogs, I think they do that for legal reasons

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
those are your fog lights??? def aim them if you can, that light beam is pretty high . . . i have 35w 6000k and i have fantastic performance from my lights. before i swapped the 55w in my low beams i never got flashed at or anything. however the performance of the 55w for me is invaluable with all the off road driving at night i do.:thumbsup:

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Bub said:
those are your fog lights??? def aim them if you can, that light beam is pretty high . . . i have 35w 6000k and i have fantastic performance from my lights. before i swapped the 55w in my low beams i never got flashed at or anything. however the performance of the 55w for me is invaluable with all the off road driving at night i do.:thumbsup:

Alright im not part of any clique or group or mob. I go tthe HID's cause a few members here recommended it. I actually like them over stock halogen.

IS there a chart to aiming fog lights? like this chart for low beams ( i found a nice brick wall to use reference in aiming my lows but not sure how to do the fogs.

View attachment 24288

Attachments

• headlamp_align.jpg
    headlamp_align.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 13

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Not tryin to be a smart ass but if all you did was change bulb types why would it need to be adjusted? Maybe I did something different when I did mine but no adjustment was needed.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
TangoBravo said:
Not tryin to be a smart ass but if all you did was change bulb types why would it need to be adjusted? Maybe I did something different when I did mine but no adjustment was needed.

Nothing i never really had any fog since i owned the vehicle and I never played attencion to the beam pattern until the hids came into play there much more noticeable than the stock halogens.:rolleyes:

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Ghost said:
Nothing i never really had any fog since i owned the vehicle and I never played attencion to the beam pattern until the hids came into play there much more noticeable than the stock halogens.:rolleyes:

And it should be, you have HIDS in Halogen housing. Your issue is not a aiming issue but rather a bulb in a wrong housing issue

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
TangoBravo said:
And it should be, you have HIDS in Halogen housing. Your issue is not a aiming issue but rather a bulb in a wrong housing issue

Alright. I can live with it thanks

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Turn on your lows and aim your fogs just below the lows to fill in the gap that not lit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online