Fogged up head light assembly

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Somehow or other it appears I got some moisture inside the headlight assembly. I think this happened at a touch-less car wash. When it dried it left a water mark on the inside of the assembly. Is there anyway to clean the inside of the assembly? Can I take it apart and put it back together again-- easily--? Or should I just buy a new one from RockAuto. They have CAPA units from around 110.00 and Chinese knockoff's from about 50.00.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Hmm, define easily? If you take the bulbs out, can you wrap a cloth around something like a pencil and reach the front lens to wipe off the water spots?

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Hmm, define easily? If you take the bulbs out, can you wrap a cloth around something like a pencil and reach the front lens to wipe off the water spots?

That was my idea of easily. I don't think I would want to separate the shell (as I have read some folks do) to install projector lights. I will take your advice and pull the assembly out and try the cloth on a stick method. The stain/discoloration/whatever is over top of the orange side light, can I really get this far?

getimage.php
300? 300: true ); height:expression(this.height > 400? 400: true );">

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You won't be able to get to the lens area by the turn signal, the turn signal lens is in the way. You'd have to open up the headlight assembly to clean around in there.... Unless you had some type of flexible, remote controlled, appendage. Like those spy cameras used to look under doors, or through ceilings. But I think that is a far cry from "easily" :no:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
RedEnvoyDenali said:
Somehow or other it appears I got some moisture inside the headlight assembly. I think this happened at a touch-less car wash. When it dried it left a water mark on the inside of the assembly. Is there anyway to clean the inside of the assembly? Can I take it apart and put it back together again-- easily--? Or should I just buy a new one from RockAuto. They have CAPA units from around 110.00 and Chinese knockoff's from about 50.00.

Sounds like a good excuse for a mod to me. Cut 'em open and paint them satin black, loose the amber lenses and reseal.

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Short Bus said:
Sounds like a good excuse for a mod to me. Cut 'em open and paint them satin black, loose the amber lenses and reseal.

Sorry not my style, but I do admire the time, dedication and desire to have something out of the ordinary that others do. It was a big step for me to paint the Calipers red and mount EBC Green Stuff pads. I also have a tune but that is very invisible.

Looks like a replacement headlight unit is in the works.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Others will have to jump in here, but, IIRC, pouring rubbing alcohol and shaking it around has been used to remove water spots inside the headlight assembly. I don't know if it removes stains.
However, either way, you'll need to reseal the assembly. Have you checked for the rubber cap/s on the back of the lights?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Others will have to jump in here, but, IIRC, pouring rubbing alcohol and shaking it around has been used to remove water spots inside the headlight assembly. I don't know if it removes stains.
alcohol is a good choice as it evaporates quickly, i've done it with diluted ammonia, just need to try and get as much of the cleaner out of it as you can through the rear holes, then set it face down with a space heater gently warming it to help get the rest of the fluid evaporated. just make sure you set it so if there is fluid remaining, it puddles somewhere on the bottom of the lens that is obscured because it will probably leave a stain.
worth a shot before springing for a new light...:twocents:

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
However, either way, you'll need to reseal the assembly. Have you checked for the rubber cap/s on the back of the lights?

jimmyjam said:
alcohol is a good choice as it evaporates quickly, i've done it with diluted ammonia, just need to try and get as much of the cleaner out of it as you can through the rear holes, then set it face down with a space heater gently warming it to help get the rest of the fluid evaporated. just make sure you set it so if there is fluid remaining, it puddles somewhere on the bottom of the lens that is obscured because it will probably leave a stain.
worth a shot before springing for a new light...:twocents:

Thank you gentlemen I will pull the assembly this weekend and try this method (nothing to lose since I will replace it if it doesn't work). Any thoughts on whether the rubbing alcohol or diluted ammonia would have any affect on the plastic, like eating it?

Not really sure how the water got in but I did notice it after going through a touch less car wash. Thanks again I would not have thought of this.:no:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
RedEnvoyDenali said:
Thank you gentlemen I will pull the assembly this weekend and try this method (nothing to lose since I will replace it if it doesn't work). Any thoughts on whether the rubbing alcohol or diluted ammonia would have any affect on the plastic, like eating it?

Not really sure how the water got in but I did notice it after going through a touch less car wash. Thanks again I would not have thought of this.:no:

If they're sold in plastic bottles, I think you're in good shape :wink:

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
NinjuhhNutz said:
alcohol is gonna be your best bet, and hit it with an air compressor afterwards to break loose anything the alcohol doesn't get...

Not sure that the air will help since the crud is over the orange side reflector section. I was just going to slosh the alcohol around so it wet the area and hopefully it will dry clear.

see previous post for pic of light assembly

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.