Finally doing a retrofit! Its gunna be a long process!

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Ahh yes finals, I used to have those too and then I said fuck it and stopped going to college about halfway to getting my bachelors. I have an associates (easy degree) in computer information systems and 6 years work experience so thats not too bad. Maybe I will go back and finish up the program if my schedule at work wasn't such a pain to work around. You're welcome man. If anything the way that harness was made wouldn't be bad for outside of the headlight if you had a way of protecting water from getting into the ends. They are not weather packed where the bulbs plug into them.

I may one of these years go to NYC for a visit who knows. lol.

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
kickass audio said:
Ahh yes finals, I used to have those too and then I said fuck it and stopped going to college about halfway to getting my bachelors. I have an associates (easy degree) in computer information systems and 6 years work experience so thats not too bad. Maybe I will go back and finish up the program if my schedule at work wasn't such a pain to work around. You're welcome man. If anything the way that harness was made wouldn't be bad for outside of the headlight if you had a way of protecting water from getting into the ends. They are not weather packed where the bulbs plug into them.

I may one of these years go to NYC for a visit who knows. lol.
I want to quit too! Lol but it's too late. Next semester is my senior year and I need it for the NYPD, and many other law enforcement I'm trying for lolol. And I'll figure out a way to protect them from the weather

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
You could get something like shrink wrap but finding something like that size would be hard and it would not shrink around the diameter of the wires needed. I don't like using it but electrical tape wouldn't be a bad idea. It wouldn't be fully waterproof but it would be a barrier for most junk.

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
kickass audio said:
You could get something like shrink wrap but finding something like that size would be hard and it would not shrink around the diameter of the wires needed. I don't like using it but electrical tape wouldn't be a bad idea. It wouldn't be fully waterproof but it would be a barrier for most junk.
That's what I was thinking. Lol. Last time I had a harness i made a hole big enough in the caps to let the wires in and so no water can go in! I'm impatient now to do the retrofit. But I decided to take a summer class. Lmao! [emoji30]

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I have my wires feeding through the rubber caps but the connectors I have coming out of that are all weather pak connections so they are sealed. I just used some of my windoweld to seal up the caps up nice and tight.

Reactions: kjkim93

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Ah. So I'm back. Haven't done the retrofit yet. Slowly got parts for it. Still haven't been able to locate a good SS grill or even a LS grill anywhere near me. I will officially start the work in July! I'm just looking at another forum and seeing how to do it slowly. Only big thing that scares me is the oven part. [emoji23][emoji24]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If the oven method doesn't play nice, I will talk you through the Dremel method if you need me to. It's a lot faster, and easier, than most people think.

As for the grille, found this one on Rockauto. Would be good for a placeholder until you found your SS grille.
P/N: GM1200470 $27 before shipping

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Blckshdw said:
If the oven method doesn't play nice, I will talk you through the Dremel method if you need me to. It's a lot faster, and easier, than most people think.

As for the grille, found this one on Rockauto. Would be good for a placeholder until you found your SS grille.
P/N: GM1200470 $27 before shipping
I will most likely use a dremel. Is there specific kit and dremel blade I should get? I heard sometimes the plastic can stick

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The stock Dremel cutoff wheels are crap. I bought a set of the EZ-Lock cutoff wheels, they have some that are specific for plastic, which work great. You can get them anywhere that sells Dremel accessories.

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
kjkim93 said:
Ah. So I'm back. Haven't done the retrofit yet. Slowly got parts for it. Still haven't been able to locate a good SS grill or even a LS grill anywhere near me. I will officially start the work in July! I'm just looking at another forum and seeing how to do it slowly. Only big thing that scares me is the oven part. [emoji23][emoji24]
How much was your dremel if I may ask? Is it one speed or dusk speed? How cheap should I not go on a dremel kit

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I don't remember how much mine was. When I first joined the OS, I bought a variable speed cordless. :no: HUGE disappointment. Didn't have enough torque and the battery would drain super fast. Got fed up with that, and bought the cheapest corded Dremel at Home Depot. I think mine is a 200 series. Dual speed and corded, had a few accessories, but I still had plenty from my first set.

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Blckshdw said:
I don't remember how much mine was. When I first joined the OS, I bought a variable speed cordless. :no: HUGE disappointment. Didn't have enough torque and the battery would drain super fast. Got fed up with that, and bought the cheapest corded Dremel at Home Depot. I think mine is a 200 series. Dual speed and corded, had a few accessories, but I still had plenty from my first set.
Thanks! I shall check my nearest home depo when I officially finish my summer class, which is this Friday

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You can probably get away with a rotary tool from Harbor freight, that would be cheaper. As long as it's corded, you'll have enough torque without running out of juice, and get some larger cutoff wheels, you should be good to go. :twocents:

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Blckshdw said:
You can probably get away with a rotary tool from Harbor freight, that would be cheaper. As long as it's corded, you'll have enough torque without running out of juice, and get some larger cutoff wheels, you should be good to go. :twocents:
Closet harbor frieght is In New Jersey. I'm just going to order it from the harbor freight site and get it shipped. You are right much cheaper!

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Hey Kenny, how's your retrofit coming along? :undecided: :biggrin:
Hey I've been busy and taking vacations. [emoji30]. But I've been researching on stuff. I may even switch to better projectors now.

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Wow. Finally got home after being away for awhile. Some asshole thought it would be cool to steal shit off my balcony. My headlights are gone, and my mountain bike. I hate people.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
kjkim93 said:
Wow. Finally got home after being away for awhile. Some asshole thought it would be cool to steal shit off my balcony. My headlights are gone, and my mountain bike. I hate people.
Damn man, sorry to hear that. I hate thieves.

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
dmanns67 said:
Damn man, sorry to hear that. I hate thieves.
I'm just glad I didn't out any of my retrofit in with the box. Lose all my parts. [emoji17] guess I gotta start again.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
kjkim93 said:
I'm just glad I didn't out any of my retrofit in with the box. Lose all my parts. [emoji17] guess I gotta start again.
Yeah man that would have been expensive. At least LS/SS headlights are cheap.

Reactions: kjkim93

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Damn Kenny, sorry to hear about your luck. But yeah at least they didn't get your retro parts too.

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Damn Kenny, sorry to hear about your luck. But yeah at least they didn't get your retro parts too.
Since it was Labor Day i wanted to spend my day doing them. I go out back and they're missing. I'm jus trying to figure out how they stole it. I live on the third floor. Only way to get to my balcony is going around the back of the apartment with keys. Imma have to buy new head lights now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabah

Members Online