Filler plug rear differential

JimShoe

Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Read the threads on removing the filler plug on the rear differential. I cleaned, heated treated with PB bLaster for a few days. Bought impact extensions from Harbor Freight and I used a impact and then a breaker bar. I ended up stripping the inside. Not sure what I can do next.:redface:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Get a nut or bolt welded to it and use an impact tool to break it free.

Or give up as I just did and have an O2 sensor bung welded at the right height into my cover, and close it up with a bolt. Easier to fill that way.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
if you already drained it your going to have to fill it through the vent hose. It's gonna take forever. You need to drill out that bolt, or make a new hole, thread it, and put a bolt with a nylon washer to seal it. Getting that bolt out is the best option, but as roadie said, you will need something welded to it, or just make a new fill hole.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I used one of these suction guns from NAPA then attached a smaller hose to the end that matches the vent nipple. Pull the vent hose from the axle housing and should take about 4 refills from the gun.

cartman57

Dec 4, 2011

JimShoe

Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
I haven't drained the oil, so TB is still good to drive. I think first I'll try the weld a bolt to the plug and if that doesn't work I'll go with the fill hole on the back cover. Thanks, I had run out of good ideas and appreciate yours.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Yah, I hate to admit messing up my plug so badly, but I tried those exact nipple extractors, and they chewed up the recess and then started spinning. Then I got uncharacteristically angry and went to town with an air chisel and started doing damage to the aluminum housing. Then I quit.

JimShoe

Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
The air chisel sounds familiar. I think I was in the same place as you. I'm leaning toward the filler hole on the back cover, seems like the best plan (clever). Thanks.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Maybe once you get something welded to it you could put some heat to it and then hit it a few time to break loose the treads. I have used it a few times to get that @#$% bolt/nut that will not move and it has worked. Good luck

Guano

Jan 4, 2012
My fillplug was stripped by way of tightening...At The Factory!!!:mad::hissyfit:
Oxygen Acetylene torch is the only way to heat something out. I bought mine when I was 18 a sizable investment at the time but for me, worth every penny.:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online