fan clutch "stuck" after driving on deep water

rachyLTZ

Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
idk if this would fit here but if anyone can provide some info id be most thankful. so it rained like there was no tomorrow here in vegas so all streets got flooded and well needless to say i had to drive through some deep water i really couldnt tell how deep it was but when i finally got home i noticed that some water got splashed into the engine compartment i cant say it was a lot but it was noticeable by the dirt left behind. anyway my fan now seems to be stuck it wont disengage after warm up and i can hear it roar while im driving i know this aint good, this just happened today im just wondering if im already screwed or will it go back to how it was before and also should i be worried about water being sprayed in to the engine?
if anyone has any input on this thanks a lot

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
rachyLTZ said:
idk if this would fit here but if anyone can provide some info id be most thankful. so it rained like there was no tomorrow here in vegas so all streets got flooded and well needless to say i had to drive through some deep water i really couldnt tell how deep it was but when i finally got home i noticed that some water got splashed into the engine compartment i cant say it was a lot but it was noticeable by the dirt left behind. anyway my fan now seems to be stuck it wont disengage after warm up and i can hear it roar while im driving i know this aint good, this just happened today im just wondering if im already screwed or will it go back to how it was before and also should i be worried about water being sprayed in to the engine?
if anyone has any input on this thanks a lot

You can check for water in the connector going to the fan. But most likely your going to need a new fan clutch. AND Welcome to the nation....

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
McGMT said:
You can check for water in the connector going to the fan. But most likely your going to need a new fan clutch. AND Welcome to the nation....

I second this opinion, probably need a new fan clutch, and of course welcome aboard!

rachyLTZ

Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
:smile:
hey thanks a lot you guys and sorry for no even introducing myself. i have a 2002 TB 4x4
and well i really hope thats not the case for replacing the clutch fan i was more inclined to it acting up because water got all over it and before this it was working all good and from what i could inspect it seems like it was replaced before idk if its the newer version though i had cooling and ac issues before and it all went away after i reset the pcm after cleaning the tb and replacing the spark plugs
thank you again for the welcoming i hope to be able to help others too in the future :thumbsup:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Welcome! My unofficial test for a stuck clutch is to pull the relay in the front fuse box for it. If it's still stuck on with the relay removed, it gets a clutch. IIRC doing this test may turn on the check engine light.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Let it dry out good and report back...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
MAY03LT said:
Welcome! My unofficial test for a stuck clutch is to pull the relay in the front fuse box for it. If it's still stuck on with the relay removed, it gets a clutch. IIRC doing this test may turn on the check engine light.

This

HARDTRAILZ said:
Let it dry out good and report back...

This

McGMT said:
Welcome to the nation....

And of course this :biggrin:

rachyLTZ

Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
thanks you all for all the replies and guess what???? :crazy: the day after this happened on my way back from work i noticed the engine seemed to accelerate faster/better and once i got off the freeway sure enough the loud roar was goooooone and when i got home i revved it up and all normal i shut it off and i was able to spin the fan by hand just the way it was before man im just so glad i didnt have to dump 300 bucks on the truck on these hard times gas going up and all but lesson learned no more driving on deep water during a flash flood so anyone else considering doing it consider yourself warned at least if your truck is bone stock

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Thx for the report. Bone stock..... How quaint?

hdodd1

Dec 3, 2011
My TB seems to do the same thing after driving though a driving rain...it quits after a few miles of driving. I checked the fan connection and made sure it was tight...no solution yet. We haven't had much rain lately..

rachyLTZ

Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
oh well i meant to say with no lift or snorkel or some kind of water protection if theres any, i just havent any after market items on my truck yet.
but see this now: if i have to post a new thread let me know k. so now the front diff is leaking fluid from the drivers side where the cv joint connects right to the diff i checked it and it was a bit apart or separated from where i thought it should be so i grabbed a long flat head screw driver and with a rubber hammer i whacked it gently on some groves the actual axle has. i dont see how that could have happened it just came off?? well ive yet to see if this solves it although i dont think ill see anymore fluid leaking since what leaked before was quite plenty so ill see how that goes or perhaps the seal is already going south. researching on that right now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online