Fan Clutch special tool

98tsiawd

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Hey guys, I seen in one thread someone gave the part # for the tool needed to replace the clutch fan from the dealership, however I did a search and couldn’t find it, maybe its on the old site. Does anyone know the part #? Or have a recommendation where to get one? I'm changing my clutch fan Thursday this week.
I appreciate the help
Thank you

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
There's really no need for it... you can get the rental tool from your local auto parts store..or like many of us have done, just dead blow it with a wrench and hammer... 2-3 whacks, and the nut is loose...

But to answer your question, I don't know the part number, just sharing what I've done on 3 clutch installs..

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I opted for pipe wrenches. One to grab a pair out of the four pulley bolts, then an adjustable wrench to grab the clutch nut.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Did mine Sat night. I rented the Fan clutch tool kit from the parts store. Worked perfect and cost is nothing when i return it. Makes it much easier. I never got the hammer trick to work for me.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
For the sake of completeness, the tool is GM #J 41240 Fan Clutch Remover and Installer

The whack-a-wrench method worked fine for me.

Feb 24, 2012
This isn't exactly the tool I bought but it was close:

Google Image Result for http://www.tooldesk.com/images/previewFile/41730lg.jpg

I did a google images search for OTC Fan Clutch Tool and came up with that. The wide part holds the pulley bolts and the long thinner part does the fan clutch nut. Not the GM tool but it worked fine on my Yukon. I imagine the pulley bolts and big nut are the same on the 360. I removed my fan for the winter months to save fuel. (not worth the effort BTW) It was the "Fan Clutch Tool" they had on the shelf at my local Advance Autoparts store. And it was a lot cheaper than what they show on that website.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adungyyy

Members Online