Fan Clutch and thermostat replacement ?

pvmsteve

Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
I replaced my water pump 119k. I did not replace fan clutch or thermostate at that time, short on funds. The TB has 121k on it now. I did replace the Dexcool at 97k. I plan on taking a long trip pulling a travel trailer in the near future. Do you think I shoould replace the fan clutch and thermosate, the TB is running in the normal temp range. When changing the water pump, I checked the clutch, it did not have any play or wobble, but only rotataes a short distance, less than a quater turn is that normal?:undecided:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You can defer replacing the fan clutch and thermostat until they fail, and they almost always throw codes or show obvious symptoms when they do. Did you ever get a P0128 or a fan clutch code?

If you have limited budget, use the money instead for a transmission cooler. Can save you huge $$$ in the long run.

pvmsteve

Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
the roadie said:
You can defer replacing the fan clutch and thermostat until they fail, and they almost always throw codes or show obvious symptoms when they do. Did you ever get a P0128 or a fan clutch code?

If you have limited budget, use the money instead for a transmission cooler. Can save you huge $$$ in the long run.

no code has occured. I have put a trans. cooler last year before we bought our travel trailer followed the instructions on the other web site.
I have been considering the PCM plug & play fan kit which uses the single Spal fan have you heard any pro or cons. A hayen fan clutch is arond 200.00
the PCM is 343.75. The more I think about it the more peace of mind I will have if the fan clutch was replaced. Could be worth while, HP & MPG to go with PCM if it cooled as well as the stock set up.:undecided:

struble571

Mar 5, 2012
Hello all. I got the dreaded P0495 code the other day and found out that the fan clutch I should purchase is the 25790869 #. Is that the most up to date one out there? Also I have been reading that while I'm at it changing out the fan clutch I should also change out the water pump too. Is there a recommended one to look for?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I bought cheapest water pump the store had(duralast?). 6mo.s later no problems

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online