Factory radio replacement

slowauto

Original poster
Mar 28, 2014
Found a replacement radio at Rock Auto for the right price. Are there any gremlins to be addressed before I begin the project. Am an old fat man with limited toolage so any tips would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

jpimp

Feb 1, 2013
might have to be re-programed for your VIN at a dealer...not 100% sure though since it's brand new.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
It would need to be programmed for sure. Also, check out replacementradios.com for a possible cheaper price.

db131994

May 10, 2014
Anyone have any how to's to removing the radio? Ours will not eject or take a CD. I have to use tweezers to load and remove... If someone has a fix for that, let me know...

How much is the reprogram at the Stealer?

slowauto

Original poster
Mar 28, 2014
Well the radio was cheap enough but by the time you add the chime kit, wiring harness,etc I decided screw it. Plus the possible cost of reprograming? The cd player is what is messed up on mine also. If you find an easy fix, let me know. thanks!!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
AFAIK you'll have to take the HU out, open it up and see what's messed up.

I used to have a guide for removing the radio that I got from the OS but I can't find it now.

Basically you have to remove the knee bolster under the steering wheel, remove the surround around the instrument panel, sometimes remove the centre consol and then you should be able to get the radio out.

It sounds like a big job but it only takes about 15 minutes or so to get all that stuff off.

Reactions: slowauto

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
db131994 said:
How much is the reprogram at the Stealer?
$105 is what I was quoted. It takes them about 5 minutes to do the reprogram.

Needless to say, I am enjoying my aftermarket system now.

If your current unit is beyond fixing, start looking at aftermarket. Most $150 units have better sound and more features than the stock unit anyway. I don't know what I'd do without my Bluetooth and USB hookups now. :thumbsup:

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Take the opportunity and upgrade the head unit with something aftermarket. So much better in terms of sound.

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
When I can get to my computer at home I have the how to from crutchfield, it is relatively easy to remove the radios.

I can't tell from my phone what GMT you have tho, but the how to is for a TB.

Reactions: slowauto

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gunsmoke

Members Online