Factory Jack doesn't fit under car if tire is flat

Jkust

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
Ok guys, my wife got a blowout on her Rainier yesterday with practically new tires. She left the truck in a parking lot and I dealt with it on the way home from work. As it turned out, it happened a block away from the Goodyear store so I figured I'd pull the tire off, run it over for a new tire and slap it back on and go on my way. I've had three of these trucks over the years but never needed to change a flat. So the front right tire was blown out and amazingly the bottle jack under the seat is simply too tall to fit under the frame of the truck with a flat tire. In order for it to fit, I'd have had to place it all the way even with the rear passenger door just as the frame was high enough as it got closer to the full rear tire. Obviously that wasn't going to jack the front of the car up. There was nowhere on the truck frame that was taller than the jack where i'd have needed and of course the jack was as low as it goes. I was forced to drive it with the flat across the street and down a half block to the tire store and hope for the best.
Had this happend anywhere else I'd have been screwed. She decided at the last minute to stay off the highway and take the city streets home luckily. So my question is what the heck is the deal here? Is it possible GM is this stupid?
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
OEM tire size and rims? The jack under the back seat was the OEM screw jack that looks like a bottle jack but isn't a true hydraulic unit? You didn't have a floor jack at home to carry out to her?
 

Jkust

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
the roadie said:
OEM tire size and rims? The jack under the back seat was the OEM screw jack that looks like a bottle jack but isn't a true hydraulic unit? You didn't have a floor jack at home to carry out to her?

Tires rims are the OEM size for the Rainier being 245/65- 17. Yes that is the exact same jack. I have an suv rated floor jack at home but was coming from work otherwise I'd have grabbed it. I've changed 3 or 4 blowouts on the boat trailer over the years with our truck jacks and can say from experience it is a huge pain to use them. It takes forever to jack up a 4000lb boat and you really have to work, presumably had it worked, it would have been a bigger pain especially since it was 38 degrees and raining out. Good news is the tire was only 175$ bad news is I wished it had been the 9-7 since the front right tire on it needs replacing however 9-7 tires are $312 a piece installed.
 

X5rdman

Member
Dec 31, 2012
20
If i remember right when you take the jack out of the storage location, you actually have to lower it down. Meaning it the neck is in a slightly raised position to lock it in storage. So when you do this you should have good clearence.
 

Busterbrown

Member
Dec 4, 2011
253
X5rdman said:
If i remember right when you take the jack out of the storage location, you actually have to lower it down. Meaning it the neck is in a slightly raised position to lock it in storage. So when you do this you should have good clearence.

Possibly :iagree:. 3 years ago, I experienced a flat on one of the front OEM 17" rims. Used the truck's emergency jack to hoist the vehicle but don't remember having an issue with frame height. I was on level concrete so your situation could have been different. However, I do know that the running boards are a PITA when trying to get creeper ground clearance. :yes:
 

jimmyjam

Member
Nov 18, 2011
1,634
if you actually read the manual (not mocking, i did the same thing you did) it says you don't put the jack under the frame. you put it in a tab in the middle of the frame behind the wheel.

View attachment 25852
 

Attachments

  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 38

Jkust

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
jimmyjam said:
if you actually read the manual (not mocking, i did the same thing you did) it says you don't put the jack under the frame. you put it in a tab in the middle of the frame behind the wheel.

View attachment 11721

First thing I did was pull the manual out and it is just a picture...that part of the manual was actually pretty low info. I will mention as to the comment above, I did have it screwed all the way down. I have more experience with the jack than I had ever wanted to. Trailer tire blowouts are amazingly common and they have 8 ply sidewalls on my boat trailer. Im going to go out and check out the 9-7 now and see if the picture makes sense. That said there is no similar piece in the rear to my recollection.
Ok so I pulled out the 9-7 owners manual since wife is out with the Rainier and presume it is the same. It simply says place the jack on the front frame nearest the flat tire with a useless, nondescript picture. There is no neat angled spot as in the picture above since the frame is level the whole length of the car.

As to Roadie's comment on saggy springs...nothing sagging or I suppose the whole thing sags exactly the same but as it sits next to the 9-7 is exactly one inch taller as intended.

I'm baffled so far.
 

X5rdman

Member
Dec 31, 2012
20
Here is the notch that jimmyjam was talking about to change a front tire. So the jack doesn't go under the frame. View attachment 25854
 

Attachments

  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358039923.430365.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358039923.430365.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 175

jimmyjam

Member
Nov 18, 2011
1,634
Jkust said:
Ok so I pulled out the 9-7 owners manual since wife is out with the Rainier and presume it is the same. It simply says place the jack on the front frame nearest the flat tire with a useless, nondescript picture. There is no neat angled spot as in the picture above since the frame is level the whole length of the car.

http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/owners-manual/saab/2007-Saab-9-7x.pdf
page 411

it doesn't say anything about placing it under the frame. it says "Place the jack in the appropriate position nearest the flat tire." and shows a picture that alludes to what i described earlier.
 

CaptainXL

Member
Dec 4, 2011
2,445
jimmyjam said:
http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/owners-manual/saab/2007-Saab-9-7x.pdf
page 411

it doesn't say anything about placing it under the frame. it says "Place the jack in the appropriate position nearest the flat tire." and shows a picture that alludes to what i described earlier.

Yeah but that is a pretty bad description. And there is no closeup of the hole in the frame.

The white plastic sheet accompanying the jack actually shows a much better picture.

Don't feel bad man. I did the same when I first got my truck.
 

Jkust

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
jimmyjam said:
http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/owners-manual/saab/2007-Saab-9-7x.pdf
page 411

it doesn't say anything about placing it under the frame. it says "Place the jack in the appropriate position nearest the flat tire." and shows a picture that alludes to what i described earlier.

The picture description says the jack position is the front frame then goes on to say nearest the tire. I'm feeling a little baffeled since I've scoured both of the frames at home in the garage for anywhere the jack will fit. I'll have to locate the description under the seat with the jack.
 

northcreek

Member
Jan 15, 2012
3,320
WNY
Does your truck have an inflator station?if so,could the tire have been inflated for height or a short drive.
I had this happen on a trailer tire,we found a piece of 2x4 and pulled the flat tire up on that to get jack clearance...Mike.
 

Jkust

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
northcreek said:
Does your truck have an inflator station?if so,could the tire have been inflated for height or a short drive.
I had this happen on a trailer tire,we found a piece of 2x4 and pulled the flat tire up on that to get jack clearance...Mike.

Yes it has the aircompressor but the blowout was too bad. Good idea on the 2x4...I needed about another 2 or 3 inches. Still, I'd love a picture of the spot the jack is supposed to fit. Clearly this has to be user error.
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
Wow, I would never have guessed to use it there at all.
 

MAY03LT

Member
Nov 18, 2011
3,420
Delmarva
^^^For real. I don't remember ever seeing or reading about that. Learning new things is cool.:cool:
 

CaptainXL

Member
Dec 4, 2011
2,445
Sparky said:
Wow, I would never have guessed to use it there at all.

There is a white plastic sheet/instructions sitting next to the jack which clearly shows the slot in the frame. I am guessing many here are missing that white sheet?
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
CaptainXL said:
There is a white plastic sheet/instructions sitting next to the jack which clearly shows the slot in the frame. I am guessing many here are missing that white sheet?

Instructions? Who reads those :rotfl:
 

northcreek

Member
Jan 15, 2012
3,320
WNY
Sparky said:
Instructions? Who reads those :rotfl:

Yeah..I'm usually in too much of a hurry to look at the instructions,then when I'm done I read them to see if I did it right:confused:...dumb huh?...Mike.
 

Jkust

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
szieziel said:
it's kind of hidden behind the tire

View attachment 11761

View attachment 11762

Thanks, exactly what I was hoping for. I read the manual first thing but I don't seem so have the little white instruction placard under the seat any longer. I've used the jack too many times for trailer tires and it must have gotten lost.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,330
Posts
637,983
Members
18,531
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online