evap canister question

signalnc

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
I have a few questions about the evap canister. 2003 trailblazer--Where is it located? is it Next to fuel filter? is it the same as the charcoal canister? How long does it take to replace? When you replace it , is it under pressure? Thanks. The shop gave me an estimate for 2.5 hours of labor. I thought it was just 2 fuel lines and a clip that holds it on. Thanks.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
signalnc said:
I have a few questions about the evap canister. 2003 trailblazer--Where is it located? is it Next to fuel filter? is it the same as the charcoal canister? How long does it take to replace? When you replace it , is it under pressure? Thanks. The shop gave me an estimate for 2.5 hours of labor. I thought it was just 2 fuel lines and a clip that holds it on. Thanks.

It is accessible after removing the spare tire. Alldata says it takes 25 minutes (.4 hours) to replace. Diagrams can be found on Alldatdiy.com or a Chiltons manual. A simple job for the DIYer.

EVAPORATIVE EMISSION (EVAP) CANISTER REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1.Remove the spare tire. Reference the owners manual for additional information if needed.
2.Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
3.Disconnect the evaporative emission (EVAP) vapor pipe (1) from the EVAP canister.
4.Disconnect the EVAP purge pipe (2) from the EVAP canister.
5.Disconnect the EVAP vent pipe (3) from the EVAP canister.
6.Remove the bolts (1) from the EVAP mounting bracket (2).
7.Remove the EVAP canister and bracket assembly from the vehicle.
8.Remove the bolt (1) attaching the EVAP canister (3) to the mounting bracket (2).
9.Remove the EVAP canister (3) from the mounting bracket (2).
10.Remove the EVAP retaining bracket (2) from the EVAP canister (3) by releasing the retaining bracket clip (1) from the EVAP canister (3).

Locksmith

Nov 19, 2017
Columbia,SC
I bought two bags of activated charcoal and plan on "rebuilding" mine like the guys on YouTube had done! Evaporate/charcoal canister is too expensive for me!

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I bought two bags of activated charcoal and plan on "rebuilding" mine like the guys on YouTube had done! Evaporate/charcoal canister is too expensive for me!
If you do, be sure to do a write up:popcorn:

Locksmith

Nov 19, 2017
Columbia,SC
Okay, I will post some pics and this will be my first as soon as I get a chance. Cost was about $20 at Petsmart.
Off topic: I had replaced a fan clutch and water pump and watched every YouTube video and took a short length of chain bolted to one of the four pulley bolts and anchored the end to the ac bracket to unscrew the fan clutch. Because of another great video cut a small part of the fan shroud to give me clearance over the upper radiator neck to clear the shroud so I could lift the fan and shroud as one unit!

Last edited:

Locksmith

Nov 19, 2017
Columbia,SC
I second the write-up! How do you know it needs to be replaced/rebuilt? What are the symptoms? P0441?
I was told by a tech friend, that the charcoal eventually becomes "soaked" with gasoline, then when you go to start your engine, your motor will stall once before running. I don't want it to run "rich", so this will be my next bucket list project because I'm a maintenance freak!

AzTruckGuy

Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
The charcoal canister on the Trailblazer is a joke and will never need replacing unless its damaged or gas spills on it, even then I doubt it will need to replaced. Replaced mine chasing a P0440 code and it didn't even need to be replaced.

Reactions: Locksmith

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online

No members online now.