Engine ticking, possible to quiet it down?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Mike534x said:
Ah alright. I'll try going over to the body shop and see if they can get a Delco one swapped in under the warranty (if its still covered). I want to say the water pump was from Car Quest but I have no idea what brand they carry.

Yeah sorry. ACDelco it is going to have to be because Remy just does starters and alternators. Here is a great deal on an AC Delco with free shipping. It's available on Rock Auto as well for not much more. With a coupon you might be able to get free shipping at Rock Auto as well. Most people buy it as it's listed as a best seller.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IYXKBO/?tag=gmtnation-20

According to the reviews on Amazon you will need a new metal gasket as well. The one that comes with the pump is cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014H94UA/?tag=gmtnation-20

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Yeah sorry. ACDelco it is going to have to be because Remy just does starters and alternators. Here is a great deal on an AC Delco with free shipping. It's available on Rock Auto as well for not much more. With a coupon you might be able to get free shipping at Rock Auto as well. Most people buy it as it's listed as a best seller.

ACDelco 252-822 Water Pump Assembly : Amazon.com : Automotive

According to the reviews on Amazon you will need a new metal gasket as well. The one that comes with the pump is cheap.

ACDelco 251-2029 Gasket : Amazon.com : Automotive

Not a bad price. I may just order it through Amazon with my prime account.

Is it this common for the pump to go bad? For a new pump it didn't last very long.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Mike534x said:
Is it this common for the pump to go bad? For a new pump it didn't last very long.

I would first make sure the serpentine belt is the right length for the vehicle. If you personally know it's right (i.e. you replaced it) then we could speculate about how often water pumps fail.

In my experience many times parts either fail relatively soon or give a long service life. Did you say the pump that's on there now is an ACDelco? If that's the case then it may have been either improperly installed or you just got a rare dud. I really wouldn't worry about it. Just put a new one on. I think we have instructions here somewhere.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
CaptainXL said:
I would first make sure the serpentine belt is the right length for the vehicle. If you personally know it's right (i.e. you replaced it) then we could speculate about how often water pumps fail.

In my experience many times parts either fail relatively soon or give a long service life. Did you say the pump that's on there now is an ACDelco? If that's the case then it may have been either improperly installed or you just got a rare dud. I really wouldn't worry about it. Just put a new one on. I think we have instructions here somewhere.

We changed it out when the fan clutch and water pump were replaced. I think the replacement pump was an aftermarket reman and not an actual Delco one.
'

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online