engine temp

xj2202009

Mar 27, 2012
Replaced the thermostat, bottom and top hose.
how much I loved it, there are no words to describe it, but special thanks to that dumbass who design it so that the ac hose would fall dead smack over the alternator's bottom bolt.. 1/2 inch towards the front could made so much difference.

Results:
Truck is performing better, outside temperature outside was 29 degrees here in central fl, (yes that Fahrenheit), with the car parked, temp reached halfway normal operating temp and went to normal within two miles of driving and heat was hot. Even at a quarter of the way up heat was warm were before was cool. five hours later turned the car on and drove off temp reached normal temp withing two miles temp outside had to be in the 50's.

Tip, taking the front driver tire out gives a straight shot to the thermostat. I still unbolted the alternator and pushed it forward precaution to not mess up the o ring. 10mm socket and a 3ft socket extension came handy..

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
xj2202009 said:
Replaced the thermostat, bottom and top hose.
how much I loved it, there are no words to describe it, but special thanks to that dumbass who design it so that the ac hose would fall dead smack over the alternator's bottom bolt.. 1/2 inch towards the front could made so much difference.

Results:
Truck is performing better, outside temperature outside was 29 degrees here in central fl, (yes that Fahrenheit), with the car parked, temp reached halfway normal operating temp and went to normal within two miles of driving and heat was hot. Even at a quarter of the way up heat was warm were before was cool. five hours later turned the car on and drove off temp reached normal temp withing two miles temp outside had to be in the 50's.

Tip, taking the front driver tire out gives a straight shot to the thermostat. I still unbolted the alternator and pushed it forward precaution to not mess up the o ring. 10mm socket and a 3ft socket extension came handy..

is the needle on the gauge straight now? which one (Brand) did you instal?

- - - Updated - - -

CaptainXL said:
Just don't install an ACDelco thermostat. Unless you want to do this again in a couple years.

Which one should I get. I think I put in a STANT 14659 last year and now it'a tick under straight and reading 183 deg. Guess it's faulty

xj2202009

Mar 27, 2012
I replaced it with a motorad, my symptoms were: long time to warm up on cold days, which cause my heater to barely get warm, also caused poor performance as these trucks depend on that normal temp to function properly

Rudeawakening

Jan 25, 2012
Im currently in the same boat/traiblazer. My gauge is 2 notches under 210. When I replace the T-stat, you guys are saying dont use AC-delco but use something else. What are really good brands to use? I saw motorad has been mentioned but just wondering on what else is there or how good motorad is.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
The thermostat design from an engineering point of view is crap. Won't make any difference which one you get. I have tested them all. Some on here have used motorad as well and they fail just as quick. Just get the right temp. 195 or above should work fine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online