Engine died, stored code P0340

MrFrodo

Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Engine in my '03 Envoy XL died shortly after starting this weekend. I hooked up my scangauge the next day and there was a stored code P0340. In January my Envoy was at the dealer for the gas tank recall, and the dealer found code P0340 and replaced my exhaust cam solenoid. Could it be the same problem in such a short period of time? Or could something else be causing it? Here's what they wrote in the invoice from January:
P0340 DTC DUE TO ERRATIC OPERATION OF EXH CAM SOLENOID
REPLACED EXH CAM SOLENOID

Don't GM dealers warranty their work for 12 months/12k miles? The stored code is gone now, so I'm not sure how I could prove it.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
There is a history section of the PCM memory that should have the old code for a short amount of time. Are you running again now?

GM warranties can have different lengths, from 90 days to lifetime, depending on what they put in. And the dealers are reputed to not honor any warranty from other dealers but your mileage may vary. Consult your original invoice and what's written on it. Then call the dealer that did the work and discuss the problem.

Welcome to GMTN, but no Internet forum is a good substitute for a written contract and calling the folks who did the work.

Are you current on oil changes, because deferred oil changes or additives have been known to clog up those solenoids.

MrFrodo

Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
She's running fine now, drove about 2 1/2 hours this morning with no issues. I probably am overdue for an oil change. It hasn't been done since January when the gas tank and exhaust cam solenoid were replaced. We don't put many miles on the vehicle, the DIC says 71% oil life remaining. Less than 3K miles since January.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online